Search for Untranslated Words

joelmadasu

Is there a way to find out words from Hebrew Bible that are not translated in English versions?

Hi Joel,

I don't think so, but you can show in the English version (if a text is keyed) what words do or don't have a strong's number associated.

It's the reverse of what you want, but it can then be set up in parallel with a Hebrew text and you can see what's going on. Is that helpful?

post-29509-0-94889900-1396388493_thumb.png

I notice that it doesn't exclude "the" for example, even though the definite article is clearly there on "the earth" הָאָ֗רֶץ

So it's not perfect, but it's a start.

Hi Ken,

Yes, that helps a little :)

Thank you!

Wow, fascinating example, Ken!

I initially thought your approach would work better than clearly it has done here. Indeed, the results in that screenshot show how misleading this keynumber information can be. You'd really have to know Hebrew to spot the multitude of errors that come up in this approach. An awful lot of the words "the", "and", "over" etc. do have equivalents in the Hebrew text despite being marked as without them. Another interesting example is that to say that "without" does not have an equivalent but the very next word "form" does, is also really not very fair. Flagging "let there" as being absent does not do justice to the jussives. In verse 8 the two "and there was" are both flagged right down to the verb, despite the contrary being the case.

Joel - I wouldn't adopt this approach unless you're confident in the original languages and can go through with a fine toothcomb and correct what comes up.

It was a great idea though, and I do wonder why the result is so poor.

The reality is that most Key number Bibles are quite inexact in their tagging. They usually tagged only the important words, and usually mapped them to only one word in each language, even when one language had a phrase which was equivalent to a word in the other. They should not be used as the basis for research.

The Mounce NT has phrase tagging of the English which helps greatly. We hope to offer much more exact tagging on the NIV in the not-too-distant future. It does involve a lot of work, so we will appreciate your patience during the development.

Anyone who has the massive NIV Concordance module that was included in the NIV Complete CD-ROM can see this sort of information, i.e. which words were not translated or were added to a translation.

It was a great idea though, and I do wonder why the result is so poor.

Hi Nick, yes you certainly could not reconstruct the Hebrew text from the Strong's information. I just couldn't think of any other way to see where the holes might be. You are right, you need some Hebrew facility to make sense of the result and it's certainly not research grade in results. But it's a start. :-)

I am amazed that the search can be done myself. Accordance keeps surprising me as to what it can do (even if sometimes/often I don't know what to do with the results)