10.2.4 Slow and unstable

Wes Allen

Hi, I've been noticing Accordance becoming more and more unstable ever since I upgraded to 10.2.4. It takes forever to load, and mouse clicks will frequently take several moments to register. I've also experienced hangs when copying text and crashes when creating new tabs. I delected the default session... it actually made the problem worse. :wacko:

Any ideas on how I might trouble-shoot.

Mine loads really snappily at present, and I have everything on it!

Since Accordance loads your User Notes and Highlights at startup, you could try removing them by renaming the folders in user/Documents.

I'm not having any problems at all. There were some issues with 10.2.3, but not the most recent release. Are you having issues with any other applications? Have you run Disk Utility (Repair Permissions)? It sounds more like a computer issue than an Accordance issue to me, but I'm only a semi-geek, not a full-fledged one. You might want to post more info concerning your system — OS? Machine? Memory? How full is your HD?

[i've been using TechTool Pro for more years than I can remember, and it has fixed some stuff I haven't been able to fix any other way. It finds corrupt files and can fix your computer's directory. The current version works with OS 10.6 and up, and works with the developer release of Mavericks. It is well-rated at MacUpdate.]

Disk permissions is the next step on my end, I'm on a fresh install and time-machine restore so something kludgy may have sprung up on the restore... I'm wondering if Accordance is having trouble with the dropbox sync...

Hmm, I rename the User Notes file and Accordance won't start because it's looking for a version of my notes file labeled "conflicted copy" - when I open Accordance preferences there seems to be an almost endless list of notes files marked "conflicted copy" - the date on the file is 2013-07-26. Is that prior to the dropbox sync feature being added to the application?

Actually, thinking about it... it's definately a dropbox problem as that's how DB marks conflicts... looking for a solution from DB's end...

Wes — You might just want to turn off DropBox sync in your Accordance prefs until you get Accordance up and running well. I have had some of my saved Accordance windows not open because of a name change to my User Notes. You will have to go back to the old name, create a dummy with the old name, or create new Workspaces with the renamed Notes. It's pain but very doable.

Also, make sure any User Tool or User Notes file that you care about is backed up. TimeMachine has more than once enabled me to recover uncorrupted files when the the ones my machine were messed up. You can also back-up your notes as text — I do that periodically.

post-330-0-39955700-1379085456_thumb.png

I almost exclusively use my Air for Accordance, so I regularly move my entire Accordance Files from Air —> Mac mini via AirDrop (really like that app). Airdrop is a great way to move stuff from Mac to Mac.

Yah, that's my fear. Dropbox was the killer feature for my upgrade. I'm going from my Mac to iPod/iPhone so airdrop doesn't do much good - not even after ios7 is released.

Also with this is about a 20 wait before the menu pops up in add parallels.. Really weird. I may just to a full wipe and reinstall from backed up files.

Is there a file somewhere that I can delete so these phantom notes files disappear from my file list?

All right, Accordance is working speedily again and I have discovered the issue - it is definitely a dropbox sync issue.

WHAT I DISCOVERED

When I finally got time to explore why my Accordance install was slowing down and becoming unstable on my macbook I noticed something interesting. First, when I went to open user notes I was offered a selection of hundreds of files, even though there was only my notes and a "conflicted copy" in my accordance files folder. A conflicted copy is how Dropbox identifies when a document was opened simultaneously on separate devices and then tries to sync. It probably was created when I had both my Mac Accordance and iOS Accordance installs opened and synced through dropbox on my iPad or iPhone while the Mac version was simultaneiously trying to sync. This is not a big deal, it happens all the time.

For whatever reason, the Mac version of Accordance kept adding entries for that "conflicted copy" notes file in the "User Notes" file in ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences. When I opened the file in Text Wrangler, it's ends up being 984 lines (and this was causing my "add parallel" click to take 20 seconds to open). The sheer number of entries for this one file was slowing it down.

It's also why, when I renamed my notes files, I thought I was stuck in an "this file is no longer available loop" - I would have had to click the button 984 times to work through every entry in the file! Actually, it' would have been twice that, as my sample notes also had a conflicted copy.

So, I renamed that preference file - which erased the speed issues. Sadly, my notes file was no longer associated with Accordance. So I renamed my old files, deleted all the "conflicted copies" and did a local wifi sync with my iPad - everything is back to normal.

So, there IS a sync issue with dropbox that apparently has a very narrow trigger that I just happened to trip. A temporary fix would be to tell Accordance to not allow for duplicate entries of the same file in it's preferences - why it was assuming this was a new file each time must be how the user Accordance files are reading the conflicted copy dropbox metadata. The name is the same but each sync changes something in the metadata which makes Accordance think it's brand new.

Since I know how to fix this, I'm going to re-enable Dropbox sync to see if the issue re-occurs.

Wes — Good for you! You got it fixed. I had had User Tools Files corrupted somehow a couple of weeks ago and managed to recover them using TimeMachine, and all has been working well here for a since then. I would make copies (⌘D) of the stuff you really care about (User Notes especially).