Expositor's Bible Commentary Notes (original?)

Enoch

I sprang for the original EBC on sale, thinking it was a very good buy for a full set on the whole Bible. But after downloading, I noticed in my library two items now:

1) Expositor's Bible Commentary &

2) Expositor's Bible Commentary Notes.

Yet the Notes does not look like footnotes. Or is it? It looks like short commentary on verses.

What is this? Why are there 2 modules, instead of one for this?

thanks in advance for any help.

The main section of commentary is the Expositor's Bible Commentary after the main commentary some technical notes and discussions were relegated to second section. To allow easier flow Accordance placed these notes in a separate module.

-dan

An example of a more technical note would be:

John 3:14 Kittel, commenting on ὑψόω (hypsoo, “lift up”) remarks: “In Jn. ὑψόω has intentionally a double sense in all the passages in which it occurs.... It means both exaltation on the cross and also exaltation to heaven” (TDNT, 8:610).

EBC Notes. 1st, Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1990), n.p.

If you ever open a volume in hard copy you will notice it has Bible texts... then commentary...then the notes section (although not every section has notes).

-Dan

As you can see I keep it opened under the main commentary window to auto scroll along.

-Dan

post-29263-0-89436400-1403583462_thumb.png

• Like 1

Here is a sample of the print edition (had a hard time trying to locate some but did find some eventually)...

post-29263-0-65889900-1403587246_thumb.jpg

post-29263-0-79282000-1403587229_thumb.jpg

-Dan

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is something that can be worked on or if you can provide an answer, but I have been messaged about the fact on the iOS there is no way to have both the main EBC and the EBC Notes open at the sometime with the Text. I realize this is an older product, which is likely to quickly become less popular since it is having it price raised, but I was wondering if a solution to this might be in the main commentary to have a link to the notes. I realize this may be more work than it is worth but I did not know how to advise UKF on how to best approach this on iOS.

-Dan

Hi, Dan!

There isn't really any easy way to do this, as the notes weren't originally tied to the commentary with anything like a footnote number.

OK I only brought it up since I was asked about it and I had no idea how to answer him as the best way to advise him.

-Dan

Hi, it's also because on iOS, non bible text only has one window. Although with bible text, you can have a second window, your only option to display anything only more is as an 'instant display' if there is a link! Because the notes are not linked as an instant detail, and that makes sense, as they are extensive and in a second file, they are displayed in their own window and There are Several threads on iOS forum about windows/zones for non bible text.

Us iOSers want more windows on the iPads amongst a few other changes to this really great app.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Thanks for your comments. Having read them, it appears to me that it would be much more convenient to have the whole EBC in one integrated module, don't you think?

Hi Enoch, EBC is what it is and great value. If you are using it on a lap top or desk top, then you have all kinds of options how to display it and the bits you use.

I am one of those who tend to use iOS devices as my main tool. for non bible modules, we can only display one and in the case of EBC, they are synced but I have to switch between the two modules by choosing which module I want displayed together with flicking to other resources. I am not sure that having both combined would be an advantage as the technical and other notes are not exact. It is not a great hardship to switch modules, but it would be nice to have more windows on an iOS device, coz EBC is only an example of the iOS 'limitation' between the bible and non bible texts, (my ESB comes with text, study notes, foot notes and references, so 4 windows or zones would be good). But as I have said elsewhere, this raises a problem for the developers as ipad screens could cope with 4 windows but iPhone couldn't which means additional development to have two more diverse iOS apps.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Edited by ukfraser