Accordance 10 on a 13 inch MacBook

Bud Lengtat

Prompted by recent posts debating the issue of "wasted space" in Accordance, I discovered the preference that the Library can be set to float in front of the text, instead of shoving everything over to make room. I love it!

Are there other little ways to set up Accordance so that it works well on a 13 inch MacBook?

As I use Accordance, explore, keep up with the blog and forum, things will come up no doubt, but if anyone else has already worked through it all and can share what they do to maximize the limited space of the MacBook screen, I would appreciate it.

Already I have set the toolbar to display text only. That was a huge help!

Make certain your screen resolution is at its maximum. I'm sure it probably is, but if for some reason it's not, this can make a big difference.

Here are the preferences I have set to maximize for a 13" screen:

General

Once you have the ideal common starting place, set your Default starting session.

Appearance

Default maximum zones: 2

Hide tab area if only a single tab: Check

Always show Library as a popover: Check

Text Display and Tool Display

Figure out your ideal font/size to use as Default

Instant Details

Show popover on click and hold: Check

Greek and Hebrew: Abbreviations

My 2¢

Rick, I never ever ever change that setting, and I am amazed you would even think of it. If I did change for some reason, I could see how it would make a difference. Good point.

Joe, if I set the default maximum zones to 2, will I be able to have 3 if I want? Last night I worked through one of the past blog entries that suggested setting up 3 zones. I put one tool zone below the other tool zone on the right part of the screen and it seemed to work well.

Joe, popover instant details!!! Nice. :) Would I ever want to select anything in the instant details? If so, can I with the popover? If so, how?

Edited by Bud Lengtat

You can still manually and drag a tab into a new zone. But opening new windows will default to new tabs after the max zones is reached. I RARELY want more than two tabs. I rarely even like tabs. I like new windows. ⌘` is your friend.

As for the popup instant details, you can copy it to clipboard.

Window > Customize Toolbar > Show Icon Only | √ Use Small Size

Even though I'm on a 15" screen, I hide the Toolbar when I don't need it (option-cmd-0). That saves more space than using text only or using small icons. I find I do most of my amplifying with a right click on the trackpad, so I really don't use the Toolbar much.

I am also now using BetterTouch Tool all the time - its free at the App Store. It enables me to quickly maximize or minimize a zone, show or hide the Library, Toolbar, and Instant Details. There is a discussion of it here - http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8400&hl=%2Bbetter+%2Btouch+%2Btool&fromsearch=1.

I am also now using BetterTouch Tool all the time - its free at the App Store. It enables me to quickly maximize or minimize a zone, show or hide the Library, Toolbar, and Instant Details. There is a discussion of it here - http://www.accordanc...ol&fromsearch=1.

I read what you all said about Better Touch Tool, and marvelled at the potential! After trying it and getting no results it dawned on me that you probably have to have the right kind of trackpad in the first place. Did I mention my MacBook was made in 2006? Edited by Bud Lengtat

Sorry, Bud. BetterTouch Tool will come in handy when you update.

My laptop was made in 2008, the first of the unibodies. That says something about the longevity of our Macs, doesn't it? I've got an early 2005 PowerMac G5 whose replacement (a Mac mini) is coming next week. I'll finally be able to have both my machines running the same OS, and be able to update Accordance and other software to the latest versions.

My laptop was made in 2008, the first of the unibodies. That says something about the longevity of our Macs, doesn't it? I've got an early 2005 PowerMac G5 whose replacement (a Mac mini) is coming next week. I'll finally be able to have both my machines running the same OS, and be able to update Accordance and other software to the latest versions.

A new mini sounds great! Same OS, updated Accordance. Oh my, you are in for some good times!

It made me wonder though how old my iMac is, so I looked it up. It was made in 2002. Then there is the even older iMac that is loaded with all the educational games I collected in a former life, and a few not-so-educational ones like Lode Runner, that gets turned on and used whenever grandson visits. The only thing failing on that is the CD drive. I have to use a paper clip trick I learned online somewhere to get the CD to eject. Needless to say, I do most of my computing on my relatively new—2006—13 inch MacBook. :)

Isn't it something how long these little machines will go?

There was a missionary couple that spoke at our church. When they married, she was using a Mac laptop, he was using a PC. His PC died, so he got a new one. While her Mac kept plugging along, his replacement PC died . . . and so on (do any Biblical accounts come to mind here?) Finally, he got a Mac. In the Kingdom, whose PC will that be? Silly question. We all know that when PCs die, they go to that other place. (Is this blasphemous?)

• Like 3

Julie,

I am not sure if this is blasphemous or not, however it is funny.

Thank you for brightening my day.

You're welcome, and thanks for the encouragement. There are so many things in life that aren't funny that when we can laugh or have fun with something, I think we should.

We've got two young people in our church suffering with ulcerative colitis, one just recently diagnosed. And a father of 4, all children still in the home and one only a preschooler, who has been diagnosed with stage 4+ Hodgkins. Praying and praying. Wake up praying. Go to sleep praying. It reminds me again what is really important - people and their relationships with the Lord. All these folks give evidence of a vibrant relationship, all have a great support systems. But it's still so very hard! And it's not funny at all.

Edited by Julie Falling