Cantillation marks search in HMT-W4

Gedalya

Is there any thought of adding the possibility of searching by cantillation marks in the Hebrew text of HMT-W4?

Is there any thought of adding the possibility of searching by cantillation marks in the Hebrew text of HMT-W4?

It's already possible. See here in the Accordance Help.

Rick

The link doesn't work on windows. I did look up on accordance help though. Can you please give me an example of how to do the search on windows?

My apologies. In the Help Search Bar, type this: "Searches Using Symbols". That will take you to the specific article that addresses searching for symbols, which is how you can search for cantillation marks. Just enter a period before the symbol. If you need help entering the symbol, use the Character Palette (Window > Characters). Note, however, that I may have found a bug: when you enter just a cantillation mark the symbol itself does not appear in the search entry box (either Mac or Windows). But, if you run the search it works. I did a test search for all words with a rebia.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, I seemed to have steered you wrong in the webinar today. I didn't even THINK of a simple character search. Here's how to do it:

Set Accordance to Search for Word. Type a period (.), then use the Character Palette to select the cantillation mark [or any other single character] you'd like to find.

post-29215-0-35510600-1394568475_thumb.png

• Like 1

And if you want to find a word with specific cantillation use @ to connect the word and the .+ expression.

How do I enter the cantillation symbols from the Israeli hebrew keyboard?

It's probably easiest to use our Character Palette for cantillation marks. Go to the Window drop down menu and select Characters (Alt + Ctrl + 4).

Rick, I did an etnachta search and although it is very small, the cantilation mark does appear under/adjacent to the period.

• 3 months later...

לֶ֣קַח ט֭וֹב נָתַ֣תִּי לָכֶ֑ם

How would I search for every case where these four cantillation marks (in the verse I cite above) appear?

• Like 1

Hi Gordon, just enter each one with a period followed by the cantillation mark. Put in a space, then a period with cantillation mark etc

so I did this

.֣ .֖ .֣ .֑

(doesn't show up correctly when cut and pasted)

and got this as a result

‏ וְיָצַ֣קְתָּ לּ֗וֹ אַרְבַּע֙ טַבְּעֹ֣ת זָהָ֔ב וְנָ֣תַתָּ֔ה עַ֖ל אַרְבַּ֣ע פַּעֲמֹתָ֑יו וּשְׁתֵּ֣י טַבָּעֹ֗ת עַל־צַלְעוֹ֙ הָֽאֶחָ֔ת וּשְׁתֵּי֙ טַבָּעֹ֔ת עַל־צַלְע֖וֹ הַשֵּׁנִֽית׃

‏ וְאָ֣הַבְתָּ֔ אֵ֖ת יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֶ֑יךָ בְּכָל־לְבָבְךָ֥ וּבְכָל־נַפְשְׁךָ֖ וּבְכָל־מְאֹדֶֽךָ׃

‏ וְאָ֣הַבְתָּ֔ אֵ֖ת יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֶ֑יךָ וְשָׁמַרְתָּ֣ מִשְׁמַרְתּ֗וֹ וְחֻקֹּתָ֧יו וּמִשְׁפָּטָ֛יו וּמִצְוֹתָ֖יו כָּל־הַיָּמִֽים׃

‏ וַיֹּ֣אמֶר יְהוָ֖ה יְהוּדָ֣ה יַעֲלֶ֑ה הִנֵּ֛ה נָתַ֥תִּי אֶת־הָאָ֖רֶץ בְּיָדֽוֹ׃

‏ וַיִּשְׁכַּ֤ב יְהוֹאָשׁ֙ עִם־אֲבֹתָ֔יו וַיִּקָּבֵר֙ בְּשֹׁ֣מְר֔וֹן עִ֖ם מַלְכֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל וַיִּמְלֹ֛ךְ יָרָבְעָ֥ם בְּנ֖וֹ תַּחְתָּֽיו׃ פ

‏ אִם־אֶרְאֶ֣ה א֖וֹר כִּ֣י יָהֵ֑ל וְיָ֝רֵ֗חַ יָקָ֥ר הֹלֵֽךְ׃

‏ בְּנֵ֣י שַׂלְמָ֗א בֵּ֥ית לֶ֙חֶם֙ וּנְט֣וֹפָתִ֔י עַטְר֖וֹת בֵּ֣ית יוֹאָ֑ב וַחֲצִ֥י הַמָּנַחְתִּ֖י הַצָּרְעִֽי׃

Given the restrictions of copying and pasting into the board....

they are

Exod 25:12; Deut 6:5; 11:1; Judg 1:2; 2 Kgs 14:16; Job 31:26; 1 Chr 2:54

Here is a cap of my entry box

post-29509-0-24915700-1404260237.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Ken,

I'm not getting any results when I do the search.

"There are no verses in the current range of the HMT-W4 text that fit the current search" box comes up.

In any event, I know that there are tons more results for such a search than the ones that you mention!

hmmm

I just tried searching the first two symbols only. לֶ֣קַח ט֭וֹב the two symbols under these two words (just the symbols, not the words)

The results came up with 66 hits but only from Psalms and Proverbs! Why??

Each "expression" is a separate search. If you separate them by spaces you are looking for a phrase with four words showing those marks in that order. To find any verse that has those characters in any order, separate each period/cantillation mark from the next with .

I see that the same mark is repeated in your example, so some results have 3 words.

Cantillation.png

• Like 1

I am only getting results from Psalms Proverbs and Job but not the rest of the biblical text even though my range is set to all text....

Helen,

Just figured out the reason I was not getting the desired results. There are two marks that look like the "munach" in the characters chart.

I meant to write "tipcha" not munach

Helen, I think in your search, your first cantillation mark is a "munach" like in the word נָתַ֣תִּי not a "mercha" like in the word לֶ֣קַח

Is there a way to restrict the search to these 4 cantillation marks only as in Gen 1:3 and only in this order? ( and not 3 or 2 of the cantillation marks)

Thanks to Helen for enlightening me on how to search for the cantillation marks in exact order.

period, cantillation mark, space

followed by

period, cantillation mark, space

etc

to produce the phrase in the exact order

Thanks to Ken. I had typed in the WRONG cantillation marks so was not getting the proper expected results

On the Hebrew character chart, what is the difference between the dehi/tipha cantillation mark and the tiphah cantillation mark?

Ken,

I just found that I can answer my own question by looking in the HELP file! \ :D

The dehi/tipha is for searching in the poetic sections that's why I was only getting results from Psalms, Proverbs and not the entire Tanach.

Yep - in the BHS guide, which you should have it says this...

In the section on the disjunctive accents of the 21 books it says...

אא֖א ṭip̄ḥāh Divides units between ʾaṯnaḥ and sillûq, when main division comes on first word preceding ʾaṯnaḥ or sillûq. If zāqēp̄ divides the unit,ṭip̄ḥāh divides units between zāqēp̄ and ʾaṯnaḥ or sillûq. One servus (mêrᵉḵâʾ) or none.

אא֖א mâyᵉlāʾ (or mᵉʾayyᵉlāʾ) Variant of ṭip̄ḥāh. Marks secondary accent in words with sillûq or ʾaṯnaḥ.

and in the section on the disjunctive accents of the 3 books (Job, Psalms, Proverbs) it says

א֭אא dᵉḥı̂

(PREPOSITIVE) Divides unit ending with ʾaṯnaḥ. Up to three servi. Prepositive position differentiates it from ṭarḥāʾ.

Is that what you were looking for in an explanation?

So the mayela has to have a silluq or atnakh as well.

The dehi only occurs in the poetic books, is prepositive