Module error

Bill Combs

Bill, simply right click on the selected text and choose 'Report a Correction'. You can also use the same command on the Help menu at the top.

Hi,

Report module error does not work on the Windows version.

That does not bother me I can email the things I notice but I would like to know how and where to find the proper module name to report. I think that so far I have described them rather than use the proper name.

Can someone educate me?

Thanks, Dave.

Hi dlrude,

works fine on both my W10pre and W8.1 machines. Not tried on W7 I will admit.

What are you using as your mail client?

Plus, the best item name to use to report is the item code. In the library (press the i button) or in the text - right-click about the text and the code is next to the long name

post-29509-0-49282700-1416367348_thumb.png

Edited by Ken Simpson

hmm... you have me thinking

Thanks Ken.

I use excite.com and they supply the mail client.

That may be the problem, have no mail client set up (and prefer not to have one) never have had one on my home computers.

Wonder if I can somehow get excite.com to be the client, I bet not. Will try.

I have positively determined that I am not smart enough to set up a mail client. :-)

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Dave

Ok Dave, this has been driving me spare but I have finally set it up on Windows 7 and it now works.

You say you do not have a mail client. Does that mean that you use a browser and some form or webmail ?

If so I may be able to help you.

I have a config that works for gmail.

Thx

D

Hi Daniel,

I use Firefox browser and excite.com mail. I have other mail servers that I could use but Excite is my everyday server.

I read your other post and uninstalled Windows Live Essential mail.

Went to regedit and find no such entry as you described, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command

So I stopped there. :-)

Thanks, Dave.

windows 7, I can't recall the build # , I take most upgrades

found it, build 7600, version 6.1 (of Windows 7)

Edited by dlrude

I think I'm 7601 but otherwise pretty much identical. And that last build rev was probably last nights updates which occurred after I did all the stuff in the other post.

So how far do the keys you have go ? Can you get to mailto for example ?

The other thing you might try is this : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-the-default-e-mail-program

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

There is no mailto within classes or anywhere else that i can find.

There is a client dir. but it only has windows live email options.

Dave

Interesting. I just checked another Win 7 laptop and it shows everything down to the mailto key but not the shell\command.

So I wonder what creates that key. I wonder if the set Default programs (from the other link I sent above) might do it.

It didn't add the subkeys of shell and command.

I don't think I added these keys myself so something must have done it.

Very odd - I'll have to poke about a bit more.

Edit : Ok had a more extensive poke about - another laptop I have on Win 7 does have this key structure.

I've also found indications on the web that people have built that key structure into the registry themselves, by import in the case I saw. Not sure if you want to give that a go or not.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Hi Daniel,

I would like to try adding it.

The structure has me puzzled for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command

Could you post a screen shot of the structure and var from your regedit?

Thanks, Dave.

I set it up but something must be wrong, see attached .doc to see regedit result.

Firefox does not have a mailto application listed.

Dave

mailto.doc

Edited by dlrude

Hi Dave,

command is a a subkey of open not just an attribute (if that's the correct term - not sure) of it. And then you set the Default attribute value in the command key.

As to firefox's config I'm not exactly sure what to suggest there. The pull down does permit specifying something not already in the list but I will have to look at it further to see what that should be.

Thx

D

I only saw this briefly, but when I set up my Win8 Tablet, I seem to remember the first time that I clicked on “Report a correction” Win asked me what application I would like to associate with that action. I know one of the ones was Firefox. (I don’t use Chrome - I like it but it won’t update due to privacy keys or some such that make no sense at all to me).

I chose my mail client at that stage. I presume that if I had chosen Firefox I could have used webmail through the browser. So all you need to do is completely reinstall a fresh copy of windows! :blink:

I suspect that might be fairly close to the mark. It certainly shouldn't be this hard.

I think that my use of Windows Essentials kind of messed me up badly to begin with.

Oh well.

Thx

D

I only saw this briefly, but when I set up my Win8 Tablet, I seem to remember the first time that I clicked on “Report a correction” Win asked me what application I would like to associate with that action. I know one of the ones was Firefox. (I don’t use Chrome - I like it but it won’t update due to privacy keys or some such that make no sense at all to me).

I chose my mail client at that stage. I presume that if I had chosen Firefox I could have used webmail through the browser. So all you need to do is completely reinstall a fresh copy of windows! :blink:

Oh joy!

Edited by dlrude

Oh joy!

I do hope you read this with the humour that was intended. It would indeed not be joy to do this. I truly hope Daniel and you can work out an intermediate solution.

This is ​definitely not an Accordance suggested solution to this problem.

Hi Ken,

I got the humor.

Thanks for the follow up.

I suspect that at this point more time and effort has been expended than using the report correction function rather than sending an email could ever save me.

However when I initially ran into this problem a couple of months ago Accordance folks seem to think that report correction was not working in Windows.

So there must be many folks in the same circumstance that I am and perhaps many then will benefit.

Dave

Absolutely true Dave.

it’s almost certainly true for most issues ppl have with Accordance. Others will be interested in the answer because they have the same or a related question.

Very thankful that you and Daniel are working on something, and please keep us informed of the progress.

Accordance administrator,

Perhaps you want to move this thread to a tech. support or bug-swat category?

I think that it will take some professional help to resolve it and to determine if it is even worth resolving.

In my mind the issues are;

1) you guys suffer thru improperly formatted correction report emails like the ones that I send

2) you get reduced correction reports as users are stymied by the Accordance system not working

3) just how many users experience this malady I do not know

4) from my point of view I can live with the current status

Dave