User Interface Navigation

William Cross

After using the Accordance app and being stoked that it allows me to read a number of my purchased Bibles and modules on the iPhone I have one suggestion.

Take a look at Tecarta Bible's navigation and note taking abilities and learn from them.

The ability to navigate so easily in the Bible and take sermon notes that are not specific to any verse while easily switching back and forth between the text and the live note is invaluable during a sermon.

This app could be helpful to at least look at and learn from for the Accordance team as they strive to improve and better their own user navigation and note taking.

I so want to jump into the Accordance app fully, but this area is preventing me so far and has limited me to using Accordance as an eReader only at this time.

Is anyone at OakTree aware of this program and it's easy and streamlined interface? I thought this might be helpful as an example because they have really cleaned up what could become a very cluttered UI.

• 2 weeks later...

Accordance 1.1 Text display and leading changes are awesome. Much more readable. Easy Install upgrades worked well for me as well.

Note taking is still rather convoluted and difficult.

Trying to move quickly back and forth between text and notes is hard especially during a sermon. Once a note is started, if you want to go back and look at the text and then return to your note you have to go through choosing the "My Mobile Notes" every time. If there were a simple button that would just flip between the open note and the text that would streamline this process and allow the user to keep up with the sermon. Also the warning window comes up every time you want to edit a note. From within the editor the ability to decide whether the note is associated with the verse, a sermon series or a topic and then creating a folder to store it in would be so helpful.

With only verse notes available, sermon notes are difficult when they reference multiple passages and lack the ability to copy and paste verses into the note.

Accordance 1.1 Text display and leading changes are awesome. Much more readable. Easy Install upgrades worked well for me as well.

Note taking is still rather convoluted and difficult.

Trying to move quickly back and forth between text and notes is hard especially during a sermon. Once a note is started, if you want to go back and look at the text and then return to your note you have to go through choosing the "My Mobile Notes" every time. If there were a simple button that would just flip between the open note and the text that would streamline this process and allow the user to keep up with the sermon. Also the warning window comes up every time you want to edit a note. From within the editor the ability to decide whether the note is associated with the verse, a sermon series or a topic and then creating a folder to store it in would be so helpful.

I assume you want a flip back and forth like Tecarta does. :D

One not very well known feature is that you can tap on the center of the top bar in the user note edit view and a view will slide down that shows the text of the current verse that applies to the user note. You can also copy the contents of this view as well. Tap again on the center of the top bar to hide it.

With only verse notes available, sermon notes are difficult when they reference multiple passages and lack the ability to copy and paste verses into the note.

Accordance for Mac doesn't have a general note taking feature so it should be no surprise that Accordance for iOS doesn't have one yet. Doesn't mean we won't add one in the future.

Scott.

I assume you want a flip back and forth like Tecarta does. :D

One not very well known feature is that you can tap on the center of the top bar in the user note edit view and a view will slide down that shows the text of the current verse that applies to the user note. You can also copy the contents of this view as well. Tap again on the center of the top bar to hide it.

Accordance for Mac doesn't have a general note taking feature so it should be no surprise that Accordance for iOS doesn't have one yet. Doesn't mean we won't add one in the future.

Scott.

Thank you,

That is very helpful!

And yes the Tecarta Bible ability to navigate notes and books of the Bible are really well executed.

But I disagree about no general note taking ability in Accordance. I use User Tools all the time for this purpose.

Thank you,

That is very helpful!

And yes the Tecarta Bible ability to navigate notes and books of the Bible are really well executed.

But I disagree about no general note taking ability in Accordance. I use User Tools all the time for this purpose.

Oh yes. User Tools might be a solution. Have to think about what editing those on a mobile device would look like...

Scott.

• 2 months later...

There are quite many inconsistencies in the UI. For example, i can tap on the top left corner Text title to change the Bible, although it's shown just as text, not as a button. How can I know that actually it acts like a button? When I open the Texts list, there is a title in the middle of the toolbar: "Texts". I tap on it but nothing happens. However, if I open user note and tap in the middle of the top toolbar, Bible reference text is shown, but that title doesn't look like a button. Go figure... Could Accordance engineers introduce consistent UI?

When I sync and upload all Accordance modules to my iPad, I get a very very long list of available modules, in no particular order. "Alphabetize" command would be really handy here! General tools list is across 3 or 4 screens

Archived