Bible Version Info

Julia Falling

Most Bible versions have a Forward & info about the Principles of translation, what the symbols within the text mean, etc. This info does not appear to be a part of the version notes (when available), nor could I find much, except copyright stuff, in the Accordance Module Info. Is it in my Library somewhere and I've just missed it?

There are many Bible versions I own only in Accordance, but I have nothing but the Bible text plus version notes because what I might find in a hard copy doesn't seem to be there. This information is, in my opinion, important and ought to be part of the notes. For the versions that lack notes, it could be stuck out ahead of the text or at the end of it.

If I've already got this somewhere in Accordance, I apologize.

Thanks!

e.g. If I did not have hard copies of the NASB, I would not know what the asterisks mean, because they are not hypertexted. They're just there with no explanation. I would like to know what Hebrew and Greek texts the translators used, or if they started with an English text. Am I the only one who cares about this?

• Like 2

I care about this, too. I notice it's in some translation notes such as the NIV11 (but not the NIV84), ESV, CEB, NKJV, and HCSB (that's not an exhaustive list--I just got tired of looking). I thought maybe it was just in the newer translations, but it's not in the NLTse.

I would think that this would not be too difficult to be added to the translations. I, too, Julie, would like to see this information kept in the translation notes.

• Like 1

+1

I agree entirely, for the use (reading/study) of the translation is entirely predicated upon the translation philosophy from which it came.

• Like 1

I agree entirely, for the use (reading/study) of the translation is entirely predicated upon the translation philosophy from which it came.

+1

Absolutely. And not just to bible texts but to all publications really, all prefatory, introductory, bibliographical info as such applies.

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 2

Count me in.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

We include whatever is provided by the publisher. My hunch is that for the translations under question we didn't get that material initially.

I too have missed this. I own (amongst others) the print copy of the Scofield Study Bible. It has a wealth of information about the translations used and how various markings can be used in the text itself to distinguish between variants. As far as I can tell, the Accordance Scofield Study Bible is missing all of this information. To not include this type of material would be akin to simply giving us the text of BDAG without all of the prefatory and explanatory material. Anything Accordance could do to amend this oversight on the side of the publishers? would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

I'll add my +1 to the mix, since I'm just now seeing this.

We include whatever is provided by the publisher. My hunch is that for the translations under question we didn't get that material initially.

I would like to request the introductory material and the detailed notes for the New Jerusalem Bible. I am sure Rick is probably correct here. Unlike many other versions, the detailed verse notes for the NJB did not make it at all.

I also agree with seeking the "missing" materials from other modern texts.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

• 8 months later...

Any changes here? I would particularly like to see the front matter of the NAS95 and the NRSV.

It is not just the English texts that lack the Introductory information. The GNT-Byz lacks the preface, appendix, endnotes, etc., that are there in the print and Kindle versions. Their inclusion in our Accordance Byz-Notes would be greatly appreciated!

The GNT-TR we have in Accordance (agrees with the Trinitarian Bible Society version; Scrivener?) does not have any notes. Are there any notes or front matter available? In English? (Sorry, but I just don't have the time to relearn Latin!)

Thank you for your consideration, and for consistently doing what you are able to do to accommodate your fan base.

Any changes here? I would particularly like to see the front matter of the NAS95 and the NRSV.

It is not just the English texts that lack the Introductory information. The GNT-Byz lacks the preface, appendix, endnotes, etc., that are there in the print and Kindle versions. Their inclusion in our Accordance Byz-Notes would be greatly appreciated!

The GNT-TR we have in Accordance (agrees with the Trinitarian Bible Society version; Scrivener?) does not have any notes. Are there any notes or front matter available? In English? (Sorry, but I just don't have the time to relearn Latin!)

Thank you for your consideration, and for consistently doing what you are able to do to accommodate your fan base.

So happens that we just renewed our agreement with Lockman and they sent the source files for all texts, which included the front matter for NAS77 and NAS95; we'll add this to a future update of the Notes.

I've wanted to add the NRSV material as well especially for its discussion of the Apocrypha. You can access it here; and I'll ask if we can include it from there as well.

On the GNT-Byz (Robinson-Pierpont) and TR it looks like our source just did not include that material. For RP it's a little odd since it is included in their print edition. Maybe we can track it down yet.

• Like 1

So happens that we just renewed our agreement... we'll add this to a future update of the Notes...

On the GNT-Byz (Robinson-Pierpont) and TR it looks like our source just did not include that material. For RP it's a little odd since it is included in their print edition. Maybe we can track it down yet.

Rick

Good news on these. Any chance of getting the notes for the New Jerusalem Bible?

• Like 1

So happens that we just renewed our agreement with Lockman and they sent the source files for all texts, which included the front matter for NAS77 and NAS95; we'll add this to a future update of the Notes.

I've wanted to add the NRSV material as well especially for its discussion of the Apocrypha. You can access it here; and I'll ask if we can include it from there as well.

Rick – This is great news! Thank you for pursuing this. Looking forward to having these texts with all the great info that comes with the print editions.

Rick

Good news on these. Any chance of getting the notes for the New Jerusalem Bible?

I've asked that it be looked into. Because it was published in 1985, and does not look like there has been an update since then, there may not be an e-text for this material.

I've asked that it be looked into. Because it was published in 1985, and does not look like there has been an update since then, there may not be an e-text for this material.

Thanks for checking on this. :D

I thank you for the reply and effort that may have gone into this inquiry but you have stated in the past that lack of an text is not always a barrier to something, that being said I realize 2 things, your text is listed as copyright 1990 (even though the cover art for the NJB about screen appears to be the 1985 FULL edition) and is thus I believe declared to be the readers text with minimal footnotes. I do have these in Logos they are not overly helpful or needed in my mind. The full notes I realize may require renegotiation but they are of high enough quality to be something I would most willing pay an upgrade fee for myself, and I would bet many users of the NJB feel similar. Here is a sample of the notes and brief review of the translation. http://www.bible-researcher.com/new-jerusalem-bible.html The notes form virtually a fine small commentary on the scripture in the same way a study bible most often does.

-Dan

• Like 1

I thank you for the reply and effort that may have gone into this inquiry but you have stated in the past that lack of an text is not always a barrier to something, that being said I realize 2 things, your text is listed as copyright 1990 (even though the cover art for the NJB about screen appears to be the 1985 FULL edition) and is thus I believe declared to be the readers text with minimal footnotes. I do have these in Logos they are not overly helpful or needed in my mind. The full notes I realize may require renegotiation but they are of high enough quality to be something I would most willing pay an upgrade fee for myself, and I would bet many users of the NJB feel similar. Here is a sample of the notes and brief review of the translation. http://www.bible-researcher.com/new-jerusalem-bible.html The notes form virtually a fine small commentary on the scripture in the same way a study bible most often does.

-Dan

I too would pay an upgrade fee for this in Accordance.

I see that the NAS77 and NAS95 Notes were updated today (along with some stuff). Thank you!