LXX Brenton - Psalms

tony10000

I bought Brenton's translation of the LXX yesterday and noticed that there are problems with the Psalms. I just wanted to see if anyone else has the same anomalies:

Psalm 9 only has 20 verses in the ESV. In Brenton, it has 38 verses incorporating Psalm 10. I think that is where the problems begin.

I pulled up Psalm 23 and it shows as Psalm 22 in Brenton:

Psa. 22:0 A Psalm of David: 1 The Lord tends me as a shepherd, and I shall want nothing. 2 In a place of green grass, there he has made me dwell: he has nourished me by the water of rest....

Psalm 103 shows up as Psalm 102.

There is no numbering of Psalms after Psalm 144.

I sent a correction report to Oak Tree.

ESV follows the Hebrew MT. LXX has different versification. Brenton translates the LXX. Everything is as it should be.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

I think this is actually just a discrepancy between versification systems in the LXX and the Hebrew/English texts. The OT has a bunch of this sort of stuff. I just compared my print Brenton with the Acc. Brenton and the ESVS and its as you say, at least at 22/23. I'm pretty sure this is correct. Others with more knowledge in this area will no doubt weigh in.

And David beat me to it.

Thx

D

I also checked another version of Brenton that I bought from Amazon. Everything is in the right place and it shows 151 Psalms...

Tony –

When wanting to do a search in the LXX Gk or English, I run another English version in parallel with it and do my searches in that version. The Brenton and Gk will come up at the correct location. Eliminates a lot of hassle.

Tony –

When wanting to do a search in the LXX Gk or English, I run another English version in parallel with it and do my searches in that version. The Brenton and Gk will come up at the correct location. Eliminates a lot of hassle.

That's the only way I will be able to use it because a lot of the division #s are missing. Thanks for the tip, Julie!

I looked at this link to Brenton and Psalm 23 is where it should be, Psalm 9 has 20 verses and the Psalms go up to 152.

http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/Psalms/index.htm

What am I missing?

The text listed as "Psalm 152" on the website is the Prayer of Manasseh, an apocryphal/deuterocanonical work probably written between the second century BC and the first century AD. It may be listed there because it is one of the odes that appear after Psalms in some Greek manuscripts of the Old Testament (such as Codex Alexandrinus).

However, the lack of division #s after 144 seems to be an error since the verse #s are there....

I'm not sure what you mean by division #s. If you mean chapter numbers, I have those for 144 and following in Brenton.

My Brenton's looks like this for Psalms 144 to 150:

Psa. 144:0 David’s Psalm of praise: 1 I will exalt thee, my God, my king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. 2 Every day will I bless thee, and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. 3 The Lord is great, and greatly to be praised; and there is not end to his greatness. 4 Generation after generation shall praise thy works, and tell of thy power. 5 And they shall speak of the glorious majesty of thy holiness, and recount thy wonders. 6 And they shall speak of they power of thy terrible acts; and recount thy greatness. 7 They shall utter the memory of they abundance of thy goodness, and shall exult in thy righteousness. 8 The Lord is compassionate, and merciful; long suffering and abundant in mercy. 9 The Lord is good to those that wait on him; and his compassions are over all his works. 10 Let all thy works, O Lord, give thanks to thee; and let thy saints bless thee. 11 They shall speak of they glory of thy kingdom, and talk of thy dominion; 12 to make known to the sons of men thy power, and the glorious majesty of thy kingdom. 13 Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is faithful in his words, and holy in all his works. 14 The Lord supports all that are failing, and sets up all that are broken down. 15 The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their food in due season. 16 Thou openest thine hands, and fillest every living thing with pleasure. 17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works. 18 The Lord is near to all that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. 19 He will perform the desire of them that fear him: and he will hear their supplication, and save them. 20 The Lord preserves all that love him; but all sinners he will utterly destroy. 21 My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever. 1 My soul, praise the Lord. 2 While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises to my God as long as I exist. 3 Trust not in princes, nor in the children of men, in whom there is no safety. 4 His breath shall go forth, and he shall return to his earth; in that day all his thoughts shall perish. 5 Blessed is he whose helper is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God: 6 who made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all things in them: who keeps truth for ever: 7 who executes judgment for the wronged: who gives food to the hungry. The Lord losses the fettered ones: 8 the Lord gives wisdom to the blind: The Lord sets up the broken down: the Lord loves the righteous: the Lord preserves the strangers; 9 he will relieve the orphan and widow: but will utterly remove the way of sinners. 10 The Lord shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Sion, to all generations. 1 Praise ye the Lord: for psalmody is a good thing; let praise be sweetly sung to our God. 2 The Lord builds up Jerusalem; and he will gather together the dispersed of Israel. 3 He heals the broken in heart, and binds up their wounds. 4 He numbers the multitudes of stars; and calls them all by names. 5 Great is our Lord, and great is his strength; and his understanding is infinite. 6 The Lord lifts up the meek; but brings sinners down to the ground. 7 Begin the song with thanksgiving to the Lord; sing praises on the harp to our God: 8 who covers the heaven with clouds, who prepares rain for the earth, who causes grass to spring up on the mountains and green herb for the service of men; 9 and gives cattle their food, and to the young ravens that call upon him. 10 He will not take pleasure in the strength of a horse; neither is he well-pleased with the legs of a man. 11 The Lord takes pleasure in them that fear him, and in all that hope in his mercy. 12 Praise the Lord, O Jerusalem; praise thy God, O Sion. 13 For he has strengthened the bars of thy gates; he has blessed thy children within thee. 14 He makes thy borders peaceful, and fills thee with the flour of wheat. 15 He sends his oracle to the earth: his word will run swiftly. 16 He gives snow like wool: he scatters the mist like ashes. 17 Casting forth his ice like morsels: who shall stand before his cold? 18 He shall send out his word, and melt them: he shall blow with his wind, and the waters shall flow. 19 He sends his word to Jacob, his ordinances and judgments to Israel. 20 He has not done so to any other nation; and he has not shewn them his judgments. 1 Praise ye the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the highest. 2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. 3 Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all ye stars and light. 4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and the water that is above the heavens. 5 Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he spoke, and they were made; he commanded and they were created. 6 He has established them for ever, even for ever and ever: he has made an ordinance, and it shall not pass away. 7 Praise the Lord form the earth, ye serpents, and all deeps. 8 Fire, hail, snow, ice, stormy wind; the things that perform his word. 9 Mountains and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars: 10 wild beasts, and all cattle; reptiles, and winged birds: 11 kings of the earth, and all peoples; princes, and all judges of the earth: 12 young men and virgins, old men with youths: 13 let them praise the name of the Lord; for his name only is exalted; his praise is above the earth and heaven, 14 and he shall exalt the horn of his people, there is a hymn for all his saints, even of the children of Israel, a people who draw near him. 1 Sing to the Lord a new song: his praise is in the assemble of the saints. 2 Let Israel rejoice in him that made him; and let the children of Sion exult in their king. 3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sings praises to him with timbrel and psaltery. 4 For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; and will exalt the meek with salvation. 5 The saints shall rejoice in glory; and shall exult on their beds. 6 The high praises of God shall be in their throat, and two-edged swords in their hands; 7 to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments among the peoples; 8 to bind their kings with fetters, and their nobles with manacles of iron; 9 to execute on them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. 1 Praise God in his holy places: praise him in the firmament of his power. 2 Praise him on account of his mighty acts: praise him according to his abundant greatness. 3 Praise him with the sound of a trumpet: praise him with psaltery and harp. 4 Praise him with timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instrumentals and the organ. 5 Praise him with melodious cymbals: praise him with loud cymbals. 6 Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord.

Mine version is:

LXX (Brenton Translation)
The Septuagint in English (LXX-B)
by Sir Lancelot C. L. Brenton
Samuel Bagster & Sons, Ltd., London, 1851
Public Domain
Apocryphal text digitized by Jessica Hood
Courtesy of Multnomah Bible College, Portland, Oregon
Version 2.6

20 The Lord preserves all that love him; but all sinners he will utterly destroy. 21 My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

Ps 145:0 Alleluia, A Psalm of Aggaeus and Zacharias:

10 The Lord shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Sion, to all generations.

Ps 146:0 Alleluia, A Psalm of Aggaeus and Zacharias: 1 Praise ye the Lord: for psalmody is a good thing; let praise be sweetly sung to our God

11 The Lord takes pleasure in them that fear him, and in all that hope in his mercy.

Ps 147:0 Alleluia, a Psalm of Aggaeus and Zacharias:

20 He has not done so to any other nation; and he has not shewn them his judgments.

Ps 148:0 Alleluia, a Psalm of Aggaeus and Zacharias: 1 Praise ye the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the highest.

This is in my Brentons (v2.6)

What version of the app are you using?

(I see your version in your sig is Accordance 11 - I know that can’t be true, even though you may have bought a v11 package. So can you just check please?)

For the entire section please see attachment

Psalms - Brenton LXX.zip

Edited by Ken Simpson

OK - will test on my windows machine next time I am near it. (soon)

Looks fine in Windows for me...wonder what the issue is? <pensive face>

post-29509-0-15183000-1413340739_thumb.png

Can you screen cap it please?

Edited by Ken Simpson

I'll try and check mine on Windows tomorrow. Today I only have access to my mac, where it works. You might check your display settings. (Click in the Brenton Pane and then hit control-T. If you set it to verses, do the chapter numbers return?

Screen cap is above...

OK, I figured it out. It works fine if I use Separate Verses modes but not if I use Paragraph modes.

Edited by tony10000

On my Mac, even paragraph mode works right, but I'll try it on the windows machine in use at church tomorrow.

The text listed as "Psalm 152" on the website is the Prayer of Manasseh, an apocryphal/deuterocanonical work probably written between the second century BC and the first century AD. It may be listed there because it is one of the odes that appear after Psalms in some Greek manuscripts of the Old Testament (such as Codex Alexandrinus).

Thanks for the info on this, Matthew. I think Brenton used Vaticanus as his primary text. It would be cool if Accordance could release a version with parallel Greek text!

Ok I can repro. this but only if its opened as a parallel with the ESVS. On its own, it's fine.

It also repro.s on Mac.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

If you open Brenton's first, it is OK...if you open ESV first, it is not. Also, even if you close ESV (if you open it first), the bug persists.

Tony, I can confirm this issue, and I believe it is a module formatting issue that can correct fairly easily.

In the meantime, if you have your LXX-B display as Separate verses, you can still see the chapter divisions clearly.

Tony, I can confirm this issue, and I believe it is a module formatting issue that can correct fairly easily.

In the meantime, if you have your LXX-B display as Separate verses, you can still see the chapter divisions clearly.

Will do...thanks, Joel!