Language Studies... How do you...

Tom Castle

Ok folks. I'm pretty new to Accordance but I'd like to get more into the language capabilities of Accordance. Now, let me be honest!! I dont necessarily know what all of the capabilities of Accordance are in this respect.

For instance:

What is your workflow for doing language studies??

Does accordance have the ability to do grammar and syntax for you?? If so, how does this work?? Workflow??

Let me say that I'm not a language scholar. As a matter of fact, I'm not a language anything. But I am interested in learning more about this facet of study so that I can have a more in depth knowledge of Scripture.

Any help to this end would be greatly appreciated.

FYI... I am currently reading the language addendum to the manual.

Does accordance have the ability to do grammar and syntax for you?? If so, how does this work?? Workflow??

Hi Tom--

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it's an answer. :)

I've set a challenge for myself to translate the relevant pericope from the original language as part of my sermon preparations every time I preach. (Fortunately, I'm just an associate, so this is an easier promise to keep than if I were preaching weekly!)

Because I've taken both Greek and Hebrew, I have a pretty decent understanding of sentence structure, etc, in the two languages; I just need help from time to time with rarer vocabulary and irregular lemmas. So the first thing I do before translating a passage is to print a syntax table of every word in the passage, along with its lexical form, etc.

(To do this, I select the pericope in a tagged original-language text and click the Syntax button--it's the white button with the grid background, and the letters A, alpha, and aleph, found in the "Language" section of the toolbar. I then drag the column widths to fit everything on one line before printing, because Accordance doesn't offer a way to save those preferences for Syntax windows. Yet. ;) )

I can then, as I'm working through the translation, use the syntax chart as a "quick reference," without having to look up individual words (using instant details or triple-clicking, which I sometimes do anyway if I have deeper questions) as I come to them.

Furthermore--and this isn't directly related to your question, per se, but it's a great Accordance feature--once I've translated the passage, I enter it into Accordance as a User Notes file. That way I can have it open in parallel with other Bible versions, and easily keep track of what passages I've already translated.

Hope that's at least food for thought....

:)

David

Archived