Keyboard Request

SteveL

By chance do you suppose that you could make a menu item, maybe under Window, to change tabs.

I would like very much to define my own keyboard shortcut, but unless there is a menu item that corresponds to the action, it's not doable with the standard Mac software.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

-steve.

There are already keyboard shortcuts for this: control-tab and shift-control-tab.

There are already keyboard shortcuts for this: control-tab and shift-control-tab.

Agreed, but as I wrote above, "I would like very much to define my own keyboard shortcut."

To the point: I like all apps with tabs to use the same shortcut to change tabs. I've been able to successfully make this work in other apps. Rather than asking you to conform to the Apple standard in Safari, if you kindly put "Select Next/Previous Tab" as a menu item, then the user can change the Accordance-assigned shortcut as he or she pleases.

Thanks in advance.

(Note: my aim is to make it work best for me; my aim is not to criticize Accordance or ask Accordance to change for me.)

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the update to Version 7.4.

What is the updated feature: "Apple style tabs implemented in 10.4 and above."

I noticed the tab interface has changed. I was hoping for a way to modify the Accordance keyboard shortcut to switch tabs so that it would be the same as other OSX shortcuts; no luck.

SteveL,

You can not add keyboard shortcuts to Accordance menu items via the OSX Keyboard preference pane. They won't work. Try one now and you can see.

If you use the third party system-wide automation utility Quicksilver, you can assign your own key combination to duplicate Accordance's built-in combination for changing tabs (or select menu items for that matter).

If you use the third party system-wide automation utility Quicksilver... (or select menu items for that matter).

Joe, what is Quicksilver? How can it help with the everyday use of Accordance?

Joe, what is Quicksilver? How can it help with the everyday use of Accordance?

Googling for "Quicksilver" brings up the web page for the utility. Navigating to the "What is Quicksilver?" section would be the thing to do:

http://docs.blacktree.com/quicksilver/overview

Some of the introductions and tutorials on that help page are video casts... a great way to SEE what Quicksilver is and what it can do.

Quicksilver is a utility that you bring up in front of any app that you're in via a quick key-shortcut for the purpose of accessing any number of things, including launching applications, processing selected text, etc. Just one of it's many features is that most anything you can do with Quicksilver, you can assign system-wide key combinations for it as well (called a keyboard Trigger). As such, you can easily create a key combo in Quicksilver that will run any Accordance command found in its menus or among the built-in keyboard shortcuts.

For anyone listening in:

I really have no desire to be a Quicksilver evangelist... but it happens every week that someone makes some feature request and it's something that's a piece of cake to do if you're using Quicksilver.

Archived