Greek & Hebrew

Mairead Sine

I am doing an M.Th. 25 years after doing an M.Div. and have taken Hebrew for the second time because it had been so long since I had studied it. I don't want to have to take it a third time if I do a doctorate. Is it possible to develop a fun module for either learning or tightening up skills so that an entrance comprehensive could be written.

I hope this makes sense.

Mairead,

I think the best thing you can do is to force yourself to demote an english version and move to reading solely from Hebrew. It's hard work, but so is a doctorate.

There are several things you can do to make the shift. The first of which I would recommend is to create a readers workspace, by which I mean create a workspace that parses lower frequency words for you. I believe there is a podcast on this procedure. You can find a list of the podcasts here: http://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Index/

I don't recall exactly which podcasts walk through the procedure of creating a readers bible, but I would suspect it's under the "Language" section. Perhaps someone else might chime in and list the exact podcast.

Again, I cannot stress enough that to learn a language means to expose oneself regularly to that language.