G

Abram K-J

In the NA28T-T apparatus, there is a Signs/Abbreviations search field (which I really appreciate).

In the LXXG-ISA apparatus, there is not such a search field, but I just discovered that the "Manuscripts" field does include what I might otherwise have thought of as "sigla." For example:

†, §, ⟦, –, +, >

are among the options. I'm curious:

( a ) why they were included among the Manuscripts field (and not a separate Signs/Abbreviations field). Are other Göttingen apparatuses the same?

and

( b ) if I want to search the ° sign, I can do that from the Manuscripts field, or from Contents with a . preceding the ° (though see ( c ) below), but what if I want to find all instances of 1°? The logical query would seem to be 1 <AND> .° (in the Contents field?) but this returns results (whether set to Article or Paragraph) where 1 and ° appear in the same paragraph, but not necessarily together as 1° per se, which is what I'm looking for.

( c ) searching .° in Contents field and searching ° in Manuscripts field yield different results--does anyone know why this would be?

Edited by Abram K-J

I'm not sure about the others, but I can answer (B):

Try this string: 1 .° (in the contents field). A character search is cross-field, but the '1' is from Contents, so you need to do the search in that field.

• Like 1

Great--that did it. Thanks, Joel.

It also occurs to me that such a string (which is admittedly counter-intuitive, albeit effective and predictable, now that I know how to do it) could be bypassed by the command-4 "Search this Resource" Amplify option. However, the ° symbol, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to work with "Search this Resource," and neither does 1°. I'm not sure why this is.

You need the period symbol before the ° to indicate a "search for the following character," and you cannot do that with a simple amplify.

Thanks, Helen. I thought I'd read somewhere on the forums (which I can't find now) that that amplifying to search current resource made the search syntax automatically what it needed to be, so that you could also use it to search characters. I must have been mistaken on that point.

Do you know why searching .° in the Contents field and searching ° in the Manuscripts field yield different results? There seems to be a funny font/rendering issue:

If I get the ° sign copied from this post, for example, then past it into search argument bar for "Content" field, preceded by a period, I get 1824 exact hits. If I get the ° from the Manuscripts entry selection/dialogue box, and search it with the Manuscripts field, I show 211 exact hits (but 213 if I precede that search with a period--!).

Then if I leave that same search string in the box, and select "Content," the ° changes to ø and when I put a period in front of it, gives me 213 hits, not the 1824 I had gotten by doing .° as described above.

So it boils down to two remaining curiosities for me: (1) why the divergence noted above? Seems like something to do with fonts? and (2) Why is ° is coded to show up in the Manuscripts field?

The bigger question is, if I want to know how many times the degree symbol actually occurs in the apparatus, is there a way to run the search effectively? Granted, it's not exactly the most important symbol in the apparatus, but it's the test case I was using, and I wonder if similar oddities occur with other symbols. I haven't had time to check yet.

Assigning each character to the correct field by algorithm is very difficult, and will be inaccurate at times in the apparatus modules. If you add more fields as options in the tool search and assign an OR relationship you should be able to search all the fields for the same character, though if the fields uses one of our own fonts that character may be entered with a different keystroke, but you will see that in the entry.

Helen, what you said about algorithms makes sense--though isn't there some kind after-the-fact proofing that would catch sigla that are assigned instead to the Manuscripts field (e.g., †, §, ⟦, –, +, >, etc.)?

Anyway, I'm afraid I didn't follow the rest of your post--If I do as you say and search the degree sign in two fields (with an OR relationship), it adds up the 1824 and the 211 noted above, for a total of 2035 exact hits (see attached screen cap). This is good, and to be expected. However, the same siglum itself actually appears differently in the two different fields (maybe just a font issue? see attached), and the discrepancy above (for the same search in the same field) still exists, depending on from where the ° siglum is copy-pasted.

post-31802-0-69426600-1387250111_thumb.png

These occurrences should all be in the contents field. Part of the problem is that the circlet (occurrence siglum) is supported in both Times (MacRoman encoding 0xA1/161) and Accordance's MSS Font (MacRoman encoding 0XB0/176). Thus, those instances where the occurrence siglum is the Ms Field, you will need to follow the MSS font conventions.

These modules are extensively proofed. It should be noted this isn't a erratum according to the fidelity of the Accordance Module's reflection of the print counter part.