Suggested Abbreviation for Philemon

Michael Dearinger

I would like to submit a suggestion to add another abbreviation for Philemon. Other online resources, books and software programs allow for "phm" as an abbreviation. Right now we have to type in at least "phile" to get Philemon. I have seen "php" for Philippians and "phm" for Philemon. I know it's not a significant thing but please give it some consideration.

I would like to submit a suggestion to add another abbreviation for Philemon. Other online resources, books and software programs allow for "phm" as an abbreviation. Right now we have to type in at least "phile" to get Philemon. I have seen "php" for Philippians and "phm" for Philemon. I know it's not a significant thing but please give it some consideration.

I would second the observation that Phm is not uncommon. Should be easy to add it to the list in a revision at some point.

Phlm is accepted now for Philemon, and Phil for Philippians. We can look into adding more, but I find Php very cryptic.

"Phlm" is accepted, but "Phm" is not accepted in Accordance. There is a standard system where every book has a three-letter abbreviation. In that system, you find Php and Phm for their respective books. They are weird, yes, but cryptic, no. Given either abbreviation, anyone can figure out which book they must be referring to (hence not cryptic).

While we're revising, can we add "Qoh" for Qohelet/Ecclesiastes?

"Phlm" is accepted, but "Phm" is not accepted in Accordance. There is a standard system where every book has a three-letter abbreviation.

Where is that "standard system" documented? We may as well make sure we get them all if and when we update the current list.

Helen, I am realizing that I may have called the list "standard" simply because I have been using it for a decade now in my own file structure, but in some looking I can not find where this list might have been published, or if some of it is my creation. The system simply takes the first three letters which uniquely identifies all books except for two pairs. As such, Accordance already will recognize all of these.

The two pairs with ambiguity are of course Judges/Jude and Philippians/Philemon. Each uses sufficient distinctive letters (in some ways impossible since every letter of JUDE is in JUDgEs). The results are

Jgs

Jde

Php

Phm

Here's the full list in case the reference is useful to someone. It is great for use in file names.

Gen

Exo

Lev

Num

Deu

Jos

Jgs

Rut

1Sa

1Ki

1Ch

Ezr

Neh

Est

Job

Psa

Pro

Ecc

Son

Isa

Jer

Lam

Eze

Dan

Hos

Joe

Amo

Oba

Jon

Mic

Nah

Hab

Zep

Hag

Zec

Mal

Mat

Mar

Luk

Joh

Act

Rom

1Co

Gal

Eph

Php

Col

1Th

1Ti

Tit

Phm

Heb

Jam

1Pe

1Jo

Jde

Rev

The following web site has what they call "The 3-letter Bible Abbreviation System"

http://www.biyn.org/misc/Resources/abbrevs.html

And the ESV Bible web site has a section that gives actual statistical data for Bible queries. The following is a quote from their web site. I will put a link to that site following the quote:

"Bible Book Query Patterns

The table below shows the distribution pattern of inputs and abbreviations for all the books of the Bible, based on approximately 500,000 queries. In developing a Bible site, you should probably support any queries that account for over 1% of the queries for a given book"

http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/share/about/

Look toward the bottom of this site for the data. As you can see "phm" accounts for 26.1% of all Philemon queries.

The 3-character abbreviation system I've used predates that web site, but it follows the same philosophy, though devates more than it needs to (Cf. SOS for Song of Solomon).

That list of commonly used reference in online lookup is very interesting. Should provide Helen with a few more abbreviations to add.

I too am used to Phm and Php, and I'd also put in a vote for user-configurable abbreviations, as is available in other bible software.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this up since it seems like it has gotten ignored in recent updates.

Like many of the previous posters I too would like to argue for the three letter abbreviations. When writing manuscripts I am often expected to use the three letter abbreviation. The ones listed by Joe Weaks seem to be the standard. I have also used these abbreviations in Online Bible for some time and have found myself growling when they do not work in Accordance. Thanks for the consideration. With Accordance I know the publishers are listening!

• 9 months later...

+1 on the the three letter abbreviations

Archived