Accordance on the iPhone

jwritebol

I know I am months late in saying anything in regard to the iPhone/Accordance discussion but since I got one last week and was at the Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology in Sacramento this weekend, I had a few insights.

1. The EVS mobile web app was great.... very helpful, and I believe that the NET Bible has done the same thing.

2. I would like to be able to access a GNT from my iPhone but zhubert.com right now doesn't have a good iPhone site. Anyone know where I can read the GNT on my iPhone well?

3. I am not so sure that Accordance would be worth having on the iPhone. I think most iPhone users want a way to read the Scriptures, not do in-depth word studies and commentary searches, etc. on their iPhone.

4. Olive Tree Software seems to be thinking of developing something for the iPhone. They had a survey to that end on their website today about the iPhone.

So those are my thoughts. Thanks.

Jeremy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tip. I just finished the survey. Never would have known the survey existed if it had not been for you. Dave Nehring

Here's a vote for Accordance on the iPhone!

Looking up scripture on an iPhone would be a dream come true. I'd want a version of Accordance written using the SDK so Wi-Fi or a cell signal would not be needed.

I prefer looking up scripture and following along in class or during a sermon with a PDA bible application.

At least a version of Accordance "Lite" that would have the KJV, ASV, NKJV and an easy way to reference or search for scripture... anything beyond that would just be icing on the cake for me but probably not used extensively.

I don't have an iPhone yet but if Accordance were available I'd ditch my Treo and switch to an iPhone ASAP! The Treo makes for a lousy Palm PDA anyway. It's a huge step backward from my old Palm Tungsten T3. I plan on getting an iPhone eventually anyway. I just don't have a definite time frame but it's getting hard to resist not buying one very soon. Maybe shortly after the SDK ships.

I just saw ins and outs of the SDK, and I wish I had the attention span to code, but I vote for Accordance iPhone edition as well.... I also want to be able to update and sync user notes. That would be so awesome and I think it would qualify as God's will for my life.

Thank you...

Hi All,

I just found out about the survey. I searched the website for it and could not find it. Could someone point me to it specifically?

Thanks,

Lee

3. I am not so sure that Accordance would be worth having on the iPhone. I think most iPhone users want a way to read the Scriptures, not do in-depth word studies and commentary searches, etc. on their iPhone.

There are times where I am just reading and want to know what the underlying word is and what its form is just for further clarity. I think a simple instant details box is a must.

jay

I would like to add my vote also for accordance on the iPhone. For all reason mentioned above I think it would be a brilliant addition to Accordance's already high quality bible software range. I also would love the ability to sync user notes. It would be good also if all modules wouldn't have to be purchased again.

I have held out this far, but with the SDK release I am going to buy an iPhone as soon as the App Store is released. Please! develop Accordance for the iPhone. It will be the best application on the platform. To think I could carry OakTree on my hip, and parse a verb on the fly?!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I'd love to see Accordance on the iPhone as well. Like someone mentioned above, it'd be nice to be free from having a decent internet connection. Also, it'd be nice to have multiple translations on my iPhone. I'm sure there'd be some legality issues with the publishers... but if there were some kind of user friendly way to get a copy of modules that I've purchased onto my iPhone, that'd be great!

~Rick

• 1 month later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the downside to this is that the iPhone/iPod touch is like an independent platform, complete with an independent store. Would this not mean that I/we would essentially have to purchase the same modules again for our iPod/iPhone's?

correct me if I'm wrong....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the downside to this is that the iPhone/iPod touch is like an independent platform, complete with an independent store. Would this not mean that I/we would essentially have to purchase the same modules again for our iPod/iPhone's?

correct me if I'm wrong....

No, you're right. All iPhone apps will ONLY be sold through iTunes.

Personally, I don't have to have advanced Accordance features on the iPhone. I would like to have original language and perhaps one English biblical text on the iPhone for basic search and as a reader. To me, that doesn't have to come from Accordance, especially if it means taking resources away from their other projects.

GMPSoft has already worked with OakTree using their morphology for the Greek NT available for Palm and Windows Mobile:

http://www.gmpsoft.com/product.php?id=bundle_greekubs4

Since theirs is a product already developed, I think it would make more sense for a company like that to simply port what they have already done to the iPhone.

I also used to have the Greek NT from Olive Tree on my Palm Treo. I'm pretty sure they are working on an iPhone version. Generally, they've let folks take modules purchased to either Palm or Windows Mobile because their reader was free. So if they do the same thing for the iPhone, I'm set.

I too would love to see Accordance on the iPhone, especially if it could auto sync modules with the main program. Some basic searching is really all it'd need to be extremely handy...

Same as others. Doesnt have to be accordance full force. I would like to see Different Bible translations, Maps, and some basics commentaries and dictionaries would be awesome

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here's a vote for Accordance on the iPhone!

Looking up scripture on an iPhone would be a dream come true. I'd want a version of Accordance written using the SDK so Wi-Fi or a cell signal would not be needed.

I prefer looking up scripture and following along in class or during a sermon with a PDA bible application.

At least a version of Accordance "Lite" that would have the KJV, ASV, NKJV and an easy way to reference or search for scripture... anything beyond that would just be icing on the cake for me but probably not used extensively.

I don't have an iPhone yet but if Accordance were available I'd ditch my Treo and switch to an iPhone ASAP! The Treo makes for a lousy Palm PDA anyway. It's a huge step backward from my old Palm Tungsten T3. I plan on getting an iPhone eventually anyway. I just don't have a definite time frame but it's getting hard to resist not buying one very soon. Maybe shortly after the SDK ships.

I had iphone1 and it didnt work for me as the only bible solutions were online and only worked at home, even then slowly - not much free wifi here in the UK yet, and none in my church either. My iPhone 2 is much better, faster, and there are offline bibles already (I'm using Bible Express but it aint great). So add my vote, yes please for Accordance "lite" on iPhone please

I had iphone1 and it didnt work for me as the only bible solutions were online and only worked at home, even then slowly - not much free wifi here in the UK yet, and none in my church either. My iPhone 2 is much better, faster, and there are offline bibles already (I'm using Bible Express but it aint great). So add my vote, yes please for Accordance "lite" on iPhone please

BibleXpress has potential to be a very good app. Quite buggy in its current version. According to the developer a lot of the bugginess is corrected in the soon to be released versions.

Accordance knows how to do it. I think this is a great opportunity for them. Many Windows users will be using an iphone and wanting an app like this. If its implemented well it will be a hit.

If the iphone has the potential hahlo effect in bringing windows users over to the mac platform the Accordance name will already be in the back of their mind for desktop software.

I'm sure Accordance is carefully examining this market on the iphone. Hope everything they see gives them a green light on it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Bible Express. Two upgrades have come out since the initial version. It takes several days between the time the author posts an upgrade and Apple approves it and makes it available through iTunes. The author of Bible Express wants to get the Greek NT and the LXX if he can resolve copyright issues. So far it seems, in my humble opinion, that Bible Express is the best of the iPhone Bible aps.

I'm using Bible Express. Two upgrades have come out since the initial version. It takes several days between the time the author posts an upgrade and Apple approves it and makes it available through iTunes. The author of Bible Express wants to get the Greek NT and the LXX if he can resolve copyright issues. So far it seems, in my humble opinion, that Bible Express is the best of the iPhone Bible aps.

Im with you, the latest version 1.1 is really good. Developer has squashed many of the previous bugs and added some improved UI to it. I also agree its the best bible app so far thats out there

• 2 weeks later...

I have OliveTree's Bible Reader on my Palm T/X and will probably put it on my iPod Touch once it arrives. Bible Reader is well done. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. There will even be a "fuller" version out down the road for the iPod Touch (or iPhone).

Olive Tree's Bible Reader was released for the iPhone/iPod Touch yesterday. The initial module offerings are few, but they are in the process of moving most if not all of their rather large library to iPhone format. This includes their original language texts including the Greek NT with Gramcord morphology.

I have an initial review of Olive Tree's Bible Reader for the iPhone on This Lamp.

I voted for the iPhone version of Accordance in another thread, but I'll add it again here. I'd note Bruji seems to have the right idea with their Pocketpedia. It is a free addition that syncs over wi-fi with Bookpedia, CDPedia, etc. But, for that matter, while opting for a free version would be hard to complain about, it'd be fine with me if I had to pay something for Accordance for iPhone. The main thing I'd like to see is some sort of module syncing to avoid having to buy modules I already own again for some other Bible software. Plus, I trust that anything Accordance puts out will be worth using...

I have Bible Reader on my Palm T3, and I'll probably get it for the iPhone (I have one on order). But if Accordance came out with the ability to sync with my iMac, I'd almost certainly buy it. Yes, I'm willing to pay for a premium product.

• 1 month later...
I voted for the iPhone version of Accordance in another thread, but I'll add it again here. I'd note Bruji seems to have the right idea with their Pocketpedia. It is a free addition that syncs over wi-fi with Bookpedia, CDPedia, etc. But, for that matter, while opting for a free version would be hard to complain about, it'd be fine with me if I had to pay something for Accordance for iPhone. The main thing I'd like to see is some sort of module syncing to avoid having to buy modules I already own again for some other Bible software. Plus, I trust that anything Accordance puts out will be worth using...

Amen to that. I just got my iPhone and Pocketpedia works great! I hope Accordance can pull this off...

Archived