Accordance on the iPhone

jwritebol

You are correct that Logos for iPhone does NOT work when you iPhone is in Airplane mode.

This is why I've not bothered to even load it on my iPhone. It requires internet access (and hence more battery use). I can just use BibleGateway, then. Or even better, continue to enjoy the most excellent OliveTree that I have.

I find the Logos model of insisting on connection to their server that they may push advertising most annoying.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why I've not bothered to even load it on my iPhone. It requires internet access (and hence more battery use). I can just use BibleGateway, then. Or even better, continue to enjoy the most excellent OliveTree that I have.

I find the Logos model of insisting on connection to their server that they may push advertising most annoying.

Biblegateway.com is a great website. I'm not sure it would be logical to use it if you already have OliveTree in your iPhone, since OliveTree can do everything biblegateway.com can do and more.

Your comparison between biblegateway and Logos is a little like saying, "why would I want all my Accordance modules on my iPhone when I could just use biblegateway." The are two completely different items with different functions.

As far as the "Logos model" of connecting to their server: (1) it's not the only app on my iPhone that requires connecting to the internet-lots do, (2) owning an iPhone requires paying for an internet plan, (3) you could always use OliveTree when you didn't have internet access since you can have more than one app on your iPhone and Logos is free, (4) I doubt that an iPhone app from Accordance would function much differently IF you wanted to access all your modules. All my Accordance modules won't fit on my 32GB iPhone and neither will all my Logos modules.

So... Logos could let users pick and choose which modules to download to their iPhone or give them access to many modules, which would require internet access. Personally, I already own OliveTree and Laridian so the first option wouldn't be much help to me. However, I'm thrilled to have access to many Logos modules on my iPhone for free.

Lastly, your assumption that Logos is requiring a connection to their server for the purpose of pushing annoying advertising seems based either in prejudice or your ability to determine their motivation. I have yet to receive any advertisement from Logos so they must be really incompetent.

Hi, Adam,

The comparison with Biblegateway.com is precise. They both are allowing you to interact with texts that are stored on a server (and hence slower and chew up more power). Or am I misunderstanding the architecture here? If I can't go airplane mode and still use the program without keeping it cached in the front, then that's just silly. Sure, plenty of apps require a connection (GoogleMaps, Web portals, etc.) but that should only be for apps that are leveraging the internets and its series of tubes

Precise? In the same way that a bulldozer and a BMW are both vehicles. While there may be some overlap in function and form, they are not intended to accomplish the same thing. You are talking about HOW they work, I'm referring to WHAT you can do with it. You might be better informed if you had actually used the product you're critiquing so severely.

I own 8GB of Accordance modules and 10GB of Logos modules, so I guess you're right--I could fit everything on my iPhone, unless I owned the 8GB model. But I think your suggestion of being able to load a subset onto my iPhone while still being able to access ALL of the modules via the cloud is a good idea. I use my iPhone for more things than just Bible study so I have it full of all kinds of stuff--I currently have 500MB free.

No other apps that could house local files, but don't? Actually, I think that's part of the debate with navigation apps on the iPhone so they would fall into that category.

I find it interesting that you continue to read Logos' mind (amazing!) and can determine their motivation for their business model. Are you absolutely sure they chose the model they did solely for their own convenience and not based on anything else? For one, I find it very convenient to not have to load files onto my iPhone in order to access them and consider it an ingenious use of the cloud model. Just because you don't have a "single other iPhone app that is like this" doesn't make it a bad idea.

Again, I think it would great if I could choose to load some modules onto my iPhone, but I'm thrilled to have a free app for my iPhone so that I can access my modules at no additional cost. While there's room for improvement, it's still a great deal!

Dan, I remain happy for your that you're pleased to have your previously-purchased resources available to use on your iPhone.

You are talking about HOW they work[/Quote]Precisely. :) They both load their content precisely the same way. That's why I mentioned it. Both are essentially web portals. And that's my criticism. It was a poor choice on their part.

I think that's part of the debate with navigation apps on the iPhone so they would fall into that category.
That is a very good parallel. Because the maps can be used in such a dynamic and changing manner when used as place lookup, restaurants, phone numbers, traffic info, etc., the cloud map is superior, and the net connection needed could be judged as justified. However, when your use goes to Turn-by-turn navigation, the local install is clearly superior. TomTom's install is only 1.3 gig; and so often on the highway there's no connections.

So, in our discussions about bible modules, it's for you to weigh advantage and disadvantage to being denied access to some of the modules you've purchased when you want to use them but can't because you're not connected. Adding additional access via their server to additional resources is swell, but not at the expense of having your primary resources with you already. Many apps have the model of "content on demand," but on demand means you can then load it onto your iPhone if/when you want. Being connected is not always ubiquitous, and even more so, it is a lame draw on resources, speed and battery use in particular. The number of situations where iPhone users find themselves unconnected (exponentially more for Touch users) is in no way rare.

Are you absolutely sure they chose the model they did solely for their own convenience and not based on anything else?
No, I haven't a clue. I could only guess if they do.

For one, I find it very convenient to not have to load files onto my iPhone
And, again, I'm happy it suits your needs. I want my files loaded onto my device.

Again, I think it would great if I could choose to load some modules onto my iPhone
I have no reason to settle for something less. You have already purchased modules from Logos, so you do have a reason.

This is an interesting discussion but not really relevant to Accordance at present. We agree that our own iPhone app should not require a live internet connection.

We do encourage the free exchange of ideas, but I think it is time to close this topic.

Archived