Applying highlighting more than once

Elijah

I highlight quite a lot of words using the feature to apply highlights to search results. Sometimes I change the search and need to re-apply the highlighting. Do I have to first remove the highlighting or does Accordance recognize that the highlighting for a given word already exists and skip that word?

Another related question:

If the search result contains fewer hits than before I need to make sure that the highlighting is removed. The only way to remove a style for all highlighted words I found is to copy the style to a new one and delete the old one. Is there an easier way to accomplish that task (without deleting the style)?

I don't quite follow your questions.

Highlighting stays on a word until you clear it. It does not affect the search results unless you include the [sTYLE] command (which itself only finds verses with that style showing on the verse or on a word in the same text.

To clear the highlighting, search on the style, select all the text and click Clear on the Highlight palette. (Yes, that will remove all currently displayed highlighting not just the style in question.) To remove a specific style, delete it from Define Highlight styles.

Ok that answers the second question. With the first question I just wanted a confirmation that nothing (bad) happens if the same style is applied more than once on the same word.

Edited by Elijah

Same style does nothing, adding another style will show as both styles, depending on where they highlight the word.

A follow up question. When I highlight a word or verse in a Bible, will only that one Bible will be highlighted? or the highlighted verse or word will be highlighted on every Bible? Is there a way I can do the later?

Thanks Helen,

Individual words/phrases will be highlighted in that Bible only. If you highlight an entire verse, that highlight will be applied across all Bibles (including different languages). I agree that what you're asking for would be very nice to have, but it would be hard to do since the words/phrases do not always correspond exactly across versions.

The word highlighted can be "transported" from version to version based on the greek word that is being translated.