* [RANGE ?] and * <AND> [RANGE ?] highlight differently

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

If I do a * [RANGE Gen 1:1-3] it does not highlight all the words whereas including <AND> will do so.

In addition it records no hits and thus Analysis panes and such contain no information.

thx

D

For the former, sans , you are actually performing just the simple RANGE search, which is why there are no hits marked.

Interestingly enough when I try * [Range gen 1:1-3] it does highlight all the words - same as including the <AND>. Found out that the difference was that I had a space in front of the *. Should that really make a difference?

@Joel : hmmmm... that's strikes me as a little odd - <AND> became optional with [RANGE x] at some point in 10.x - cannot remember when. I would have expected therefore that constructions where it was not used the queries would otherwise act in the same manner. As [RANGE x] does the same thing as * [RANGE x] it also seems redundant. Of course, it doesn't practically speaking matter much - I just happened to notice due to the surprising outcome. Perhaps I misunderstand the exact nature of the optional <AND> with [RANGE x].

@Steve : that's very interesting and looks inconsistent also. I would not expect leading whitespace to be significant unless it was quoted.

tx

D

Interestingly enough when I try * [Range gen 1:1-3] it does highlight all the words - same as including the <AND>. Found out that the difference was that I had a space in front of the *. Should that really make a difference?

That’s very interesting Steve1! Seems wierd, but definitely reproducible.