Interlinear Pane

tlw5560

I would like to be able to display the GNT, Hebrew Bible and English Versions in a single pane verse by verse as opposed to the current parallel versions in multiple panes. I like to have one version open so I can read things in context. However, I like to compare the versions verse by verse because my vision is not what it used to be and the current display requires a lot of clicks to enlarge the fonts and makes for some odd looking panes in the poetic sections of the OT. This would cut down the desktop clutter when working with multiple versions. Otherwise, I love the Accordance interface. It is a beautiful and functional display.

Though I can't give any information as to the timetable or even plans of implementing such a feature, I do know a little workaround that might help. OS X has some built in accessibility controls, found in System Preferences under 'Universal Access'. You can turn on a screen zoom there that will enlarge the screen however much you need it to, following around your mouse. That way, you can have your workspace window have the various texts open in complete parallel, with small enough fonts to retain poetical forms, yet have it be large enough to be easily legible. To find the controls, go to System Preferences (found in the blue Apple Menu), then Universal Access, then select 'On' in the Zoom section. You can see the keys there, command-option-plus and minus (the equals key also functions as the plus key) to adjust the zoom level, or just command-option 8 to turn the zooming on and off. Hope this helps!

A couple of other tips that might help in the short term:

1. You can increase the size of text in ALL panes at the same time by holding down the option key while clicking on the text-size buttons of any pane.

2. You can suppress the poetic formatting in a narrow pane by selecting the pane, choosing Set Text Pane Display from the Display menu (or using the keyboard shortcut command-T), then checking Suppress Poetry and clicking OK.

Hope this helps.

1. You can increase the size of text in ALL panes at the same time by holding down the option key while clicking on the text-size buttons of any pane.

2. You can suppress the poetic formatting in a narrow pane by selecting the pane, choosing Set Text Pane Display from the Display menu (or using the keyboard shortcut command-T), then checking Suppress Poetry and clicking OK.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Joel & David--I do hope that such a feature is in the works and the hints are helpful--Terry

You can turn on a screen zoom there that will enlarge the screen however much you need it to, following around your mouse.

If you are running a recent version of OS X 10.4, there's a shortcut if you have a scroll wheel on your mouse or have a MacBook with the two finger scrolling enabled on the trackpad. Hold down the control key and scroll--the screen will zoom in and out fluidly around the pointer (it appears to ignore the Universal Access settings). Again, this is only in recent versions of 10.4.

Hope this helps.

Just a note--While I appreciate everyone's response to my vision problems, the features I would like to see in Accordance are not necessarily just a matter of enlarging the text. David Lang's tips are helpful--I was aware of the zoom features in OSX 10.4, but they also zoom menus out of the picture (I do like it when reading the Hebrew text with its vowel points)--yet my query is aimed at being able to compare versions verse by verse in one pane with the context and/or search results in another pane (in a viewable font)--right now I can compare only four versions in parallel panes and still be able to see it well without too many zoom or font sizing manuevers. However, David's pointer #1 help a great deal. I do enjoy the forums and the eagerness of the staff and readers to help.

Archived