Accordance for iOS interface elements seem overly large on the iPhone 6 Plus

R. Mansfield

These are the kind of posts I usually start with "I'm not a programmer, but..." And to that effect, I don't know how much effort what I'm going to suggest would take.

So, from what I understand iOS apps can be distinguished between the traditional size 3.5", 4" and now 4.7" from the larger 5.5" of the iPhone 6 Plus. Thus, certain apps on the iPhone from Apple (email for instance) and 3rd parties such as CNN have special versions of their iPhone app to take advantage of the 6 Plus screen. I'm suggesting that the same kind of distinction should be made for the Accordance app, too.

First let me say that without any modification, the Accordance iOS app is pretty nice on my new iPhone 6 Plus. I've been able to reduce text down to 10 points allowing me to put a lot more on the screen than normal. In fact, I have not traditionally used the iPhone version of Accordance very often (I give the iPad version plenty of use, though) because the iPhone screen has always been too small for me to get much out of any app made for reading text. But today, in our church service, I only used my iPhone 6 Plus instead of my iPad, and it was quite satisfactory. Here is a screenshot of Accordance for iOS with a 10-point font on my iPhone 6 Plus:

IMG_0170.PNG

This is fine until I tap the screen and bring up the text-based interface elements:

IMG_0171.PNG

In the above image, the interface elements seem unusually large. It would be nice if they could be scaled down for the iPhone 6 Plus or the option given for the user to adjust the size.

When I attempt to being up instant details, the problem is confounded even more since I had reduced the size of the Instant Details text, too:

IMG_0172.PNG

Note that in the above image, the interface elements immediately obscure the content I want to see. Yes, I can scroll down a bit, but again, it would be nice if the interface text was a bit smaller:

IMG_0173.PNG

So, I thought I would just mention all this. I realize that the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus were only released two days ago, and very few seem to have the 6 Plus yet.

It doesn't look so big on my 6. Is Accordance designed to adapt to the screen sizes or is it just being expanded by the OS to fill the screen (like the CNN app demo in the keynote)? That would affect the 6+ most.

Accordance should be fine on the regular iPhone 6. Programs that haven't been adapted to the screen of the iPhone 6 Plus are simply stretched--which is why the interface elements in Accordance look so large.

Right. So if the app is updated to adapt to various screen sizes, then the app wouldn't be stretched, the interface elements wouldn't be as big, and a setting just for those elements wouldn't be necessary. Am I missing something?

All apps should be designed to fit the screen properly. Stretching is just a stop-gap measure.

That's what I'm asking for--that it be updated to adapt to the new larger screen size in the 6 Plus.

• Like 1

Ah, so we agree. I latched on too tightly to the comment about a setting for the buttons.

Thanks for the catch, Rick!

I am sure our iOS programmers will be on this soon, though perhaps not for 1.7.6.

Let's hope. It looks pretty bad on the new iPhone's.

But for Accordance's sake most of my apps that I use unfortunately are not using auto layout yet either.