Search By Greek Accents?

Greg

Is it possible to search by Greek accents (for example, to see when oxytones occur as the final word in a phrase or sentence)? Curiosity about "gar" prompted the question: I assume it appears with an acute accent in the Greek NT only at Mark 16:8, but can this be verified without checking all 1041 hits? This question led me to consider other situations in which accents are significant.

You need to specify an "exact" search, so to find all instances of γάρ (gar with an acute accent) enter the search:

"=γάρ"

including the quotation marks. I find 113 instances in GNT-T, so quite a number. Doing the same with a grave accent results in 928 hits, thus giving the total number of hits for γαρ gar of 1,041.

Exactly what I was looking for! Predictably "gar" appears with the acute accent when followed by an enclitic. But this search reveals it is additionally found with the acute 11 other times, far more than the one occurrence in Mark 16:8 that had come to my mind. Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

Thank you! This exact search is also useful in Spanish, where the accent marks can change the meaning of the word entirely. When I did a search for ira, the results included both ira (anger) and ir

Archived