Copy and paste Hebrew into Mellel

Matthew Molesky

I am a new Mellel user. I am trying to copy Hebrew text into Mellel. It seems if I select Unicode in the Accordance preferences as the export text, it pastes into Mellel with a really lousy looking sans-serif kind of font (not like the beautiful Yehudit font displayed in Accordance). But I do like that the text fills the page.

If I uncheck the Unicode preference, and then copy and paste, the text is just like Yehudit, namely, it looks like I prefer. HOWEVER, the formatting is such that I can't change it and it only uses half of the page.

Can someone help an uninitiated font person like me so that I can copy and paste Hebrew into Mellel, have it look like Yehudit, and fill the page? Please?

Matt:

Yehudit is going to work like a left-to-right font in Mellel. It will be very difficlut to edit.

I do not know what you mean by "it only fills half of the page." If you mean the line length is too short -- you can adjust that by changing the pane width in Accordance, but do not make it too wide because if it wraps, the right end of the line will be moved down and the text will be scrambled.

In Unicode you can choose any Unicode font that includes Hebrew characters. Personally I like Cardo for both Greek and Hebrew. It is a free download from here.

I recommend you look at our Unicode webpage, and download the new fonts.pdf for more information on using and exporting our fonts.

The "new" SBL Hebrew Unicode font renders more accurately than any other Unicode Hebrew font I've tried with Mellel (note: Mac users do not need the "required keyboard maps" download). Take a look at "Jerusalem" in Isa 40.2 for an example. You might also take a look at the font links provided by Redlex.

Archived