Bug with Reading Mode

Randy Steffens Jr

In Reading Mode, when I enter a text in the "Go To" box, and then change the version of the Bible I'm reading, I am taken to Gen 1:1. It does not allow me to keep reading at the same place.

Can we get this fixed?

Thanks!

Randy

Yes I have updated. 10.2.1 fixed this problem in normal viewing mode. But not in reading mode.

I'm not reproducing this issue. How are you choosing different texts?

It happens if I enter a text into the go-to box and then attempt to change versions with the "cntrl 1-9" keyboard combo.

Actually, I just realized even outside of reading mode, changing the search version still results in taking me back to Gen 1:1, if the verse was entered in the "go-to" box.

Randy

Remember that Control 1-9 changes the search version (and thus runs a new search), while you want Control-Shift 1-9, which just changes the displayed version and maintains your location.

I see. So it's supposed to behave this way?
This is confusing. I could understand this logic if the search version could be changed independently from the display version. But changing the display version also changes search version under normal circumstances. So thus, if I change search version directly, I'm taken to Gen 1:1. But if I change display version (which usually also changes searched version), I stay where I am? This is does not make sense.
It is another reason why it would be very helpful to give us an option in preferences to allow independent changing of search and display versions, with native keyboard shortcuts, exactly like as it was prior to 10.2.
Is that possible?
Thanks!
Randy

Edited by Randy Steffens Jr

Randy, this change was actually made specifically because of your earlier request. Changing the display version still changes the search version, but remembers the location (if possible). The logic is really pretty straight forward - you change the search version, any displays that match it also change. You change the display version, if it matches the search it also changes, but it attempts to retain its location. The exception is if you hold the Option key, to force the incongruence.

And for the record, prior to 10.2 the Reading mode functioned exactly as you are observing it now - Control 1-9 changes the search text and your location, Shift-Control 1-9 changes the display text and maintains your location.

I see, that clears things up more. I really appreciate your trying to make your customers happy. You do a good job. :)

Thanks!

Randy

By the way, I did not mean to imply there was any problem with the current implementation of my earlier suggestion regarding remembering location in the “display version”. :) That has been a very helpful and much appreciated improvement! It's just that the additional complexity caused by not allowing independent changes of “search version” and “display version” by default, baffles me on multiple fronts. (Changing "display version" forces a change in "search version", with ramifications for remembering location which cannot be replicated by changing the "search version" itself).
If we could have an option under preferences to completely restore the old functionality, then changing "display version" would not affect "search version" and the current implementation would seem perfectly reasonable. The Option-key fix really helps, but is less convenient because it’s not active by default - and there’s no keyboard shortcut.
Randy