Timothy Jenney

[Accordance 10: Study] Psalm 103 is a paean of praise to God for all his blessings, past and present. In this podcast, Dr. J walks us through a step-by-step exegesis of this psalm, showing how to move from an initial reading to a final sermon or Bible study. Mingling personal insights with those from the best of the commentaries available in Accordance, Dr. J digs into the passage to mine its depths of meaning.

http://youtu.be/6Za3SaLpDfI

Thanks, Dr J, for another fine podcast. While I don't own very many of the resources you mentioned, your methodology is very helpful. Until I acquire some Hebrew, I will have to confine most of that sort of study to the NT.

• Like 1

You're so welcome, Julie!

Did you like this format? I've been wondering whether our viewers would find more of such "transparent" studies helpful—and, yes, I could do some in the New Testament. ;-)

• Like 2

Yes, I do think this approach is good. Even though I will never preach a sermon, I have taught women and young adults (high school).

I want to be thorough. No one needs my opinion. We all need what the Scriptures actually teach, and, frankly, the more I learn, the more I understand not only how inadequate is any English version, but also how helpful it is to read what real scholars have to say. When it comes to the NT, I know enough Greek that I can make sense of the text, follow the arguments in the technical commentaries, evaluate them, and come to a reasonable conclusion. I cannot do that with the OT. However, methodology can be applied to either testament.

I hope to be taking a 'Hebrew for Bible Study' this fall at the same Christian college where I studied Greek. I hope that will get my feet wet, so to speak, and get me on the road to a working understanding of the language. I also already have approval from a former professor to sit in with another student at the seminary for Greek reading. Having access to a knowledgeable man when questions arise is invaluable!

Anyway, though I know I will never be a true scholar, I do want to improve my study skills for my own sake and, I hope, for the benefit of those I teach. Your podcasts really help me toward that goal.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 3

Julie, I am truly impressed. There are many pastors that could benefit from your commitment to lifelong learning.

Well done! :)

• Like 1

Did you like this format? I've been wondering whether our viewers would find more of such "transparent" studies helpful—and, yes, I could do some in the New Testament. ;-)

Dr. J.

I always appreciate your podcasts. But, I like this format even better than the previous ones. The "transparency" approach real is helpful.

As alluded to by Julie, may I suggest broadening the appeal by using some resources that are in the less expensive collections. I understand the inclusion of new releases as it provides and incentive to potential buyers. In fact, some of your previous podcasts have been the impetus I needed to make a purchase.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Dr. J.

I always appreciate your podcasts. But, I like this format even better than the previous ones. The "transparency" approach real is helpful.

As alluded to by Julie, may I suggest broadening the appeal by using some resources that are in the less expensive collections. I understand the inclusion of new releases as it provides and incentive to potential buyers. In fact, some of your previous podcasts have been the impetus I needed to make a purchase.

Thanks again!

Agree 100%. I love this kind of podcast --- and I like to see how someone else may use a resource, like the way Dr. J. does :-)

• Like 1

Thank you both. I actually paid little attention to the cost of the resources I was using this time, sorry. I'll try to be more conscious of that going forward. This time I simply pointed out the very best of the resources I found.

We do hope that people will become more invested in Accordance as a result of these podcasts—and that does include buying more resources. However, not all of them offer the same "bang-for-the-buck." If you want my recommendation for the best value we offer, the nod goes to the Essential IVP Reference V. 2 Set: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=IVP2. These are thirteen top-notch resources, many of which retail at $60/volume.

• Like 1

I someway disagree, because I cannot buy yet some expensive resources, so it helps to see what is their worth.

And maybe collect money to buy them

Edited by Serpentium
  • Like 1

Can I ask you what is the difference between IVP reference 2.0 and IVP reference 3.0?

Just text corrections, or it changes a lot?

IVP-3Dicts are three newer dictionaries that were not yet published when the the IVP Essential Reference Library was released. The IVP2 simply reflects that fact that we updated the modules in that Library and re-released it as version 2 of the CD-ROM.

Dr. J.,

I appreciated the new format as well. It was a nice refresher on what is one of the most important things I learned at seminary.

• Like 1

OK, I am convinced, everyone. I'll plan more of these podcasts for future episodes.

Thanks! :D

• Like 3

Thanks, Dr J. Looking forward to your future productions. I bet you never get bored. Exhausted, maybe. Bored, never!

Tim, I just got around to watching this (really nice in fullscreen 1080P on my Acer R7 in tablet mode, by the way). I wanted to commend you on a great model for exegesis that you demonstrated in the podcast. The practical methodology prescribed in a short 15 minute video shows how Accordance can be used for everything from responsible preparation of sermons or Bible studies in a church setting to exegesis papers in a seminary context. Nicely done!

Anyway, though I know I will never be a true scholar,

Perhaps knowing that one will never be a true scholar, is a prerequisite to being a scholar. Often those who know the least know the most. And I very much appreciate your statement that it is the precise meaning of the text needed rather than our opinions.

Thanks again, everyone!

I have had the honor of sitting under the teaching of some of the world's most renowned biblical scholars. As another has said, "If I have seen further, it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants."

Enoch, I don't know that I would say, "I'll never be a scholar." I will say, "I will never know everything, not will there come a time when I think I know enough." While I use the various "critical methods," I do my best to approach the text humbly, seeking enlightenment. I hold a very high view of the divine inspiration of the Bible—and God's thoughts are ever so much better than my own.

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 1

Thanks again, everyone!

I have had the honor of sitting under the teaching of some of the world's most renowned biblical scholars. As another has said, "If I have seen further, it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants."

Enoch, I don't know that I would say, "I'll never be a scholar." I will say, "I will never know everything, not will there come a time when I think I know enough." While I use the various "critical methods," I do me best to approach the text humbly, seeking enlightenment. I hold a very high view of the divine inspiration of the Bible—and God's thoughts are ever so much better than my own.

Very well said Dr. J. Humility is the beginning of greatness. You do a great service to this community.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Yes, I love the format. Really helpful and it did inspired me to actually do the study myself. Love it.

Just watched this podcast--good stuff, Tim, and thank you! I'm preaching on the Psalms this summer, and have preached on Psalm 103 (at a different church) before. I may just have to preach on it again....