Widget will not Auto Insert into Pages '09

circuitrider

All of a sudden my Accordance Widget will not Auto Insert into my Pages document.

The Auto Insert will work in TextEdit and iWork Numbers, and any other open field. It just won't do it in Pages.

I've rebooted, deleted the old widget file and the preferences plist file. Still the same issue.

Also, in the applications that the Widget will paste it does not dismiss dashboard.

Has anyone else had this issue and solved it?

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Widget Version - 1.6.2

Thanks

We had to change the method through which the widget dismisses the dashboard, because the existing method was broken in 10.6. Currently, it uses the F12 key to dismiss the dashboard, which is generally the system default, but if that is changed for some reason it will not work. I don't have a 10.5.8 machine handy to give you exact instructions, but I imagine you can check it in System Preferences -> Expose & Spaces -> Expose, to the Dashboard popup menu. Does this fix the problem?

Joel,

Thank you for your response.

I can dismiss Dashboard manually on my keyboard without a problem (if it won't dismiss automatically like it used to).

My main issue is that the Widget will not paste into my Pages '09 documents anymore.

When I type the verse reference in the Widget it will appear on the Widget field but it won't paste it into my Pages '09 document. I have "Auto Insert" selected. It will paste into other text fields but not Pages for some reason. However, when it does paste into these other text fields it does not automatically dismiss Dashboard. I can deal with having to manually dismiss Dashboard if I could at least get the Widget to paste into Pages.

Is there a way to get old versions of the Widget? This may have started when I upgraded my widget.

Again,

Thanks for your help!

Circuitrider

All of your issues do relate to the dismissing of the dashboard. The reason Pages doesn't paste is that it doesn't like it when the dashboard is still up. I came across this while doing the testing and revamping for 10.6. So, just to confirm, normally when you press the F12 key (not the dashboard key on newer macs!) the Dashboard will open and dismiss? My guess, as it has been with any other people having this problem, is that F12 has been reassigned, or simply does nothing. I can walk through via PM with you on how to edit the widget to not require F12, but the simplest solution is to simply setup F12 as the dashboard. Its the system default, but on some occasions is changed.

We do keep old copies of the widget around too, as you are probably right, 1.6 will fix it, if you'd rather go that route. Just let me know.

Joel,

F12 was it!

I had disabled some of the Function keys because I have one of the newer Macs that requires the "fn" key to actuate a "F" key, i.e. F1, F2, etc. I was using the dedicated dashboard key to bring up my dashboard. In System Preferences I re-activated the F12 for dashboard and the widget is again working flawlessly.

I can use either key, the dashboard key or F12 to bring up the dashboard and the widget works like it used to.

I use the Widget a lot, so it was a relief to get it working right again.

I am very grateful for your superb customer service and willingness to help. You folks at Accordance are GREAT!

Circuitrtider

Joel,

F12 was it!

I had disabled some of the Function keys because I have one of the newer Macs that requires the "fn" key to actuate a "F" key, i.e. F1, F2, etc. I was using the dedicated dashboard key to bring up my dashboard. In System Preferences I re-activated the F12 for dashboard and the widget is again working flawlessly.

I can use either key, the dashboard key or F12 to bring up the dashboard and the widget works like it used to.

I use the Widget a lot, so it was a relief to get it working right again.

I am very grateful for your superb customer service and willingness to help. You folks at Accordance are GREAT!

Circuitrtider

Glad to hear it's working again! Sorry about the confusion and change; here's hoping future system updates don't break the widget again. Be sure to let us know if you have any more problems.

• 5 months later...

Glad to hear it's working again! Sorry about the confusion and change; here's hoping future system updates don't break the widget again. Be sure to let us know if you have any more problems.

Joel

Thanks so much for this. I was having the same problem as circuit rider did.

It might help others to know that my F12 default setting for Dashboard was reset by Google's Page Speed extension for Firefox.

Anyone downloading this will lose their Accordance Widget's functionality.

Once I reset the F12 default for Dashboard, everything is working fine again, even with the Mac keyboards Dashboard key.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the hair-pulling I went through until I decided to go for help to Accordance's forums.

Thanks again.

Norm

Archived