Anchor Dictionary: Genesis 3 <NOT> Genesis 1-2 <NOT> Gen 4-11

Abram K-J

I want to search Anchor Dictionary by Scripture for Genesis 3. Doing so returns a lot of hits, including things like "Genesis 1-11," which I don't really want.

So to narrow it down, I try to run a search with the Scripture search field like:

Genesis 1-3 <NOT> Genesis 1-11

to exclude some results.

But it doesn't return anything at all.... Is this because the second search results negate the first?

Then I run this search, with more success:

Genesis 3 <NOT> Genesis 1-2 <NOT> Gen 4-11

Just making sure this is the most efficient way to do it. Open to other ideas. The above search does get me down to just Genesis 3, but maybe there's another way, too?

If you search with an equals sign, it will limit your search to not find passages that simply contain your search. i.e. Just search for =Gen 3.

Hi Abram

does this do what you want?

=Gen 3

D'oh! Just as Joel was replying!

Edited by Ken Simpson

Ha! I knew there must have been a more elegant way. Thanks, both of you.

Okay... just tried the search. So my search string does not return identical results to =Gen. 3.

But should it? I'm assuming it's my search string that is faulty, since Genesis 3 <NOT> Genesis 1-2 <NOT> Gen 4-11 returns 39 hits, while =Gen 3 returns 140.

E.g., the latter search returns 3:17-19 on p. 63, while the former search misses it and others.

You are using the command, which takes into account your current search scope. You are set to Article, which basically means "Give me articles that contain Genesis 3 and don't contain Genesis 1-2 or Gen 4-11 anywhere else in the article." This is just like using the NOT command in a text search as well.

Really, the equals sign is the only way to define this search as you want it.

Okay--thanks for the clarification. The equals sign is certainly simpler! I'll make good use of it from here on out.