Applications folder and resources location

Joe

Would it be possible to use ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance as the location of modules, preferences, tools, and so forth? I would prefer to have the Accordance app in the root Applications folder and not a subfolder. I can understand why it would be a good thing to put it all in one place for people who want to manually back it up, especially those who have no idea that there is an application support folder. Perhaps you could make Accordance check for an Accordance folder in Application Support if the resources cannot be found in the same folder as the Accordance application. If it cannot find them in either place, it can ask where to create the defaults for the program (same folder as accordance, or standard application support folder), or just put them in Application Support.

We really cannot do this as all the installers out there depend on the modules being in the Accordance folder with Accordance. We would have endless tech support issues if we were to change that system now.

This would also make Accordance inaccessible to all but the primary user.

On further discussion with our team, we will look into putting the files into the /Library/Application Support in a future rev. This would leave them accessible to all users. We would need to overcome the issue of the many CDs that are out there with installers that depend on the relative location of Accordance and the modules.

Putting the files in the /Library/Application Support/ is a good idea. I would also suggest preferences for a specific user would be in their library/app support folder.

It is a good point that all of the current discs out there would put them in Accordance Folder in Applications. Perhaps, a newer/smarter update could detect the location of the support files and ask the user if they want them moved to /Library/Application Support or perhaps not ask, but alert the user to the change.

Of course, this is really not a big issue at all. If it cannot be done easily or if cannot be done without interfering with new features, I would prefer this get shelved for a while.

On a side note: I really appreciate how interactive you guys are. It says a lot that you actually take our ideas and toss them around. Thank you.

Archived