Triple Click Commentary Linking (WBC OT & NT)

Mike Baines

Hi,

Just bought Word Biblical Commentary Module, and am looking for help with a frustrating problem.

I know that triple-clicking a reference takes you to that reference in the top module in your Reference Tool List. However, because WBC is split into 2 modules, OT and NT, only one of them can be the top module in your Reference Tool list. This means that if WBC-OT is at the top of your Reference tool list and you triple click a reference in an NT book, instead of opening up the WBC-NT module and taking you to the comment on that verse in the appropriate NT commentary (which is usually what you want) it opens up the WBC-OT module and looks for mentions of that verse there, in various OT commentaries. Likewise, if WBC-NT is at the top of your Reference tool list and you triple click a reference in an OT book, instead of opening up the WBC-OT module and taking you to the comment on that verse in the appropriate commentary (which is usually what you want) it opens up the WBC-NT module and looks for mentions of that verse there, in various NT commentaries.

Is there any way to set things up so that triple clicking a reference always takes you to the comments on that exact reference in the appropriate commentary? i.e., so that triple clicking an OT verse always takes you to the comment on that verse in the WBC-OT module, and triple clicking an NT verse always takes you to the comment on that verse in the WBC-NT module? Or, do I just have to pick one (WBC-OT or WBC-NT) to be the top module and use the drop-down menu to change modules when I've triple clicked a reference in the opposite testament to the module I have at the top?

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Mike

Sorry, this is not an easy problem to correct. I suggest perhaps making a Favorites workspace containing both commentaries and amplifying to that. Hermeneia has several modules. I think it may be best to use a single commentary on top for the triple-click.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to assign a DEFAULT commentary in Preferences for OT or NT or entire Bible or a specific book, etc. That seems much more user friendly than having to put it at the top of a menu.

Mike,

If you think WBC is bad, wait until you see the overview Hermeneia in the upcoming podcast. Would you believe it has EIGHT modules?!?

My suggestion is to create your own custom workspaces: one for OT studies and one for NT studies. Have WBC in a parallel pane and save your triple-click for another kind of tool.

You've got to admit, having an abundance of resources is a GREAT problem to have! Remember when researching a verse at this level meant a trip to the local library? ;)

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I don't mean to sound disgruntled - big fan of Accordance etc. It just felt like the sort of thing that might be possible, if only I knew how to to it. Quite like DanG's suggestion.

The idea of default commentaries for different texts (as we have default texts for each tool) is certainly an interesting one, but it will need to wait until we can reorganize the settings in a future rev, as those dialogs are very crowded.

Archived