Previous/Prior "button" in commentaries

Shaun Walker

I have a text window open in Accordance with two Bible versions and then a commentary panel as well (all one window). Sometimes, the commentary (Barnes for instance) will say, "see notes on 'reference_link'." When you click that "reference_link", you aren't taken to the passage, but instead to the note for that passage. This is all good. However, now my commentary is displaying the notes for some other passage. Which is still good - the link did what it was supposed to do. However, after reading the note, there is no convenient way to return the commentary to the previous passage displayed. The only way I have found to do this is to select a Bible version and scroll forward and then backward a verse to force the commentary to display the notes for the passage I am studying. It would be great if, after I select a "see notes . . ." link to return to where I was previously in the commentary. There is something like this in a tool, when you do a search. I can select "prior" and return to where I was previously based on the hits from that search. I hope I communicate this suggestion clearly. Anybody relate?

I hope I communicate this suggestion clearly. Anybody relate?

Absolutely! I've noticed this as well. There are times when I can't seem to get back where I came from, when studying in Accordance. Perhaps it was Commentaries where I noticed that need for a Back button.

There is a Prior button in commentaries, and it appears whenever you hypertext, use the browser to jump, the Mark or Entry access buttons or the Reference box to go to a new place in the tool.

The problem only arises in Reference tools viewed in a parallel pane with Bible search texts. In this case you can only hypertext, the other three methods of navigation do not apply to the Reference tool, so we had not felt that the Prior and Next buttons were needed. This pane is intended to allow you to read the entry for the verse you are viewing, rather than to explore the commentary.

The workaround is to open the commentary in another window or tab, tie its scrolling to the Search window (Window menu) and use that window to follow internal hypertext links.

The need/desire for a "prior" button in a reference tool that shows in a parallel window to text would be highly coveted. Sorry Helen, but I don't like the "work around" offered. That starts to clutter up the screen. Having the commentary or reference tool sync with the text in parallel windows is great. It would be wonderful if there was some way for the user to go to hyperlinks and then have a way to get back where he started without having to open up a new window or workspace for organization.

I understand the desire for a previous button, but my question would be whether the benefit would be worth the cost and time of implementing it. In reality you're only cutting one mouse click. In 6.9.2 you can quickly click verse forward, verse backward and get the same effect, and the second click only adds maybe a half-second, even in the emulator. That adds up to 120 instances of this to save one minute of time. I'd rather have the programmers upgrade other aspects that would create greater benefit to the users than save me only one minute every 120 times I have to do something. Just my two cents.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Robb Brunansky

This whole discussion has been enlightening to me. I appreciate Shaun's question, because I've had it also and have also wished for a way to go back. However, when I read Helen's post it sparked a discovery.

This may be a "duh-ism," but it never dawned on me until I read Helen's reply that you could set up the hyperlink window with the same comentary(ies) as you are using in the main search window. It turns out to be pretty easy to jump back and forth between the open windows, using one as the main study window and the other as the hyperlink window.

Archived