Linking to a PDF

William Cross

How do I link to a file that has multiple words in its name?

Do I have to go back and change the name of every file taking out the spaces in the name?

Sorry, when you link to an external file Apple does not support spaces in the file name. We will look into a workaround.

We are using Apple's Launch Services to open the link. Internally, Accordance will try to convert the user tool link to an URL (Uniform Resource Locator). Accordance will report an error when trying to make a URL to a file with a space in the name. Safari, for example automatically converts the spaces to '%20' and I verified that Accordance supports the '%20' substitution.

So the workaround for now (with 8.1.0) is to use '%20' to identify spaces in User Tool links.

Mike

Back in 2007, Joe Weaks wrote some Applescript solutions for getting the full path of files to the clipboard, including replacing the spaces with %20. There are several versions of it:

-A Quicksilver plug-in with instructions for use here. I think this one actually pastes the url for you.

-A version that invokes a dialog so you can browse to your file This is the one I use most frequently, and I invoke it with a keyboard shortcut set in Butler.

-A droplet version Put it in your dock, drag a file to it, and it will copy the file path to the clipboard

All these scripts are described in this thread on the forums here..

Lorinda

Archived