Search perplexity: linking a tagged Gk text with an Eng transl.

Rod Decker

This might have been answered elsewhere on the forum, or perhaps it's in the documentation somewhere, but I can't figure out how to identify such listings.

I'd like to be able to search for a particular tagged Greek form that contains a specific word in an English translation. Is that possible?

E.g., find all participles (ideally anarthrous ones) that include the word "if" in an English translation. (That would provide a list of possible adverbial conditional participles.)

There is no direct way to do this. The closest is to search a Key number text such as NRSVS for the word@[KEY G...]. Then search the tagged text for [CONTENTS NRSVS] your specific form. You can then weed out any false positives.

I was hoping that was not the case. It might work with more distinctive words, but with an "if" there will be a lot of false positives. Since there is the ability with appropriate text modules to see cross-hi-lighting of equivalent forms, it ought to be possible to design relevant cross-module searches like this. It would certainly be worth adding to the list of potential features.

Rod,

I felt like playing around with what you were trying to do. Humor me and see if this is what you are looking for. Using the ESVS, I came up with a list of 25 verses that contain participial phrases which contain the English word "if."

Matt 5:40; 21:22; Luke 9:25; 14:32; John 18:30; Acts 15:29; 18:21; Rom 7:3; 1 Cor 5:3; 8:10; 11:5; Gal 6:9; 1 Tim 3:10; 4:4, 6; 6:8; Heb 2:3; 6:8; 10:26; 12:25; James 1:26; 1 Pet 3:6; 2 Pet 1:8, 10; Rev 20:15

This is probably way out of my league, but I thought it would be a fun challenge.

Hi Jordan, it would be really intersting to see the search you used to do this. That would help us evaluate the search better

My Greek is not as seasoned as yours (I am still in seminary), so I looked up "conditional dependent verbal participles" in Wallace's grammar (p. 632) to get an idea about what was meant. I noticed that in his examples there was not a Greek word for "if".

So, I searched:

1) The ESVS: if @ -[KEY*]

This gave me 107 hits where "if" was not connected to a Greek word, and must be a part of the English translation.

2) I added the GNT-T and copied all of the Greek verses to a reference list.

3) I created a new search using the GNT-T: [verb participle] <and> [CONTENTS ref list]

This gave me 50 verses.

4) I thought that was suitable enough to read through and weed out the false positives. I couldn't think of a way to filter it down any more, and it only took a few minutes using the interlinear to spot the bad ones.

*Wallace gives other examples of these conditional participles, but the ones I have listed above are specific to the "if" request.

I am afraid I am way off, since there are like 6000 participles.

Edited by Jordan S