ACCS Navigation

Mike Wilson

The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (ACCS) is absolutely fantastic and I am really enjoying it. The problem is that there is so much there and so much that is new to me I am constantly looking up cross references and then find I can't get back to where I was. Very frustrating!

For example: take any comment and there, at the beginning, is a link to the author. Click on it and off I go but then how do I get back.

Now if I change the verse in the text I was reading that cause ACCS to return to the actual commentary but only to the beginning of what is often a long section of multiple comments from different sources. Now if I was some way down that list I have to scroll down to find where I was before I followed the link. See what I mean?

Sorry to be so dim but there has to be a better way, isn't there?. :( Please tell me 'yes there is and this is how'.

Mike

I think you are using the ACCS in a pane of a Search window. The better way is probably to have another window open with the ACCS in a Tools window. Then you can follow the links and a Prior button will appear at the bottom to allow you to retrace your steps. You can "Tie" this window to the Search window so that they scroll together, so that when you go back to the Bible, the commentary will keep pace. You may need to experiment to find the ebst arrangement for your method of working.

Another thing to realize is that you don't need to click the link on the father's name to see the information about him. Those hypertext links are "instant" hypertext links; you only need to drag your mouse over the name, and the linked info will be displayed in the Instant Details Box at the bottom of the screen. If you don't see the Instant Details Box, go to the Window menu and make sure "Instant Details" is checked.

Hope this helps.

:D Oh! thank you both very much. Two great answers, right on the button. :D

However, because I am fortunate enough to have a 23" wide screen, I have ACCS, now open in its own tab, spread across almost the whole width of the screen. This makes it difficult to read because I lose track of which line I am on as I scan back across the display from the end of one line to the beginning of the next. Do you see what I mean?

Perhaps I could open a 'dummy' volume in the same tab and then set the width of the ACCS (or other) text to a comfortable reading size. Can I do that?

Or is there a better way?

Mike

You can use the Window menu to detatch the tab to its own window, and then tile the windows so that it appears beside the Bible Search window on your super-large monitor! I'm jealous. :rolleyes:

Archived