Tagged Coptic

Outis

Hello,

I was looking at the Coptic modules and noticed that they are not tagged. Is there a plan to tag these? And if so, what is the ballpark sort of timeframe for its release?

thanks,

• Like 1

There is no current plan. Personally, I would like to see it happen since Coptic is really the next major language of biblical importance that we have yet to cover with regards to tagged texts (maybe also Akkadian or Ugaritic, but that's for those obscure semitics people like J. P. to figure out).

The problem is that not only would it represent a significant amount of time to do the tagging, but also a new system in Accordance (or any software for that matter) which would support tagging dislocated constituents. For example, the verbal prefix can be attached to the subject with the verb itself occurring several words later. We've done something like this in the Mounce-NT, but that's really not even close since our original language tagged texts are a different beast altogether.

All that to say, I've been thinking through this for a bit, and am personally interested, but it's probably a way off before it's a reality. And even then we would need to see more interest in it among users and the scholarly community.

Hope this helps to explain things…

Thanks, Rick,

Your response does explain a lot. I don't know coptic. I was asking on behalf of a family member. So I guess german isn't the only language with separable prefixes.

Thanks for the quick and clear response.