Many boxes, in error

Abram K-J

Note Isa 37.36 in English in the attached... Errant rectangular boxes. I get quite a few of these in the LEH lexicon vocabulary frequency counts, too, and elsewhere, where there should be dashes instead. Something on my end, or with Accordance? I think everything is up to date, iPad mini.

post-31802-0-73829900-1373493428_thumb.jpg

Which font are you using for these particular text and tool modules? If you change the font does the issue go away?

NETS is Ezra SIL in the case above. Changing the font to Courier, Cardo, Didot etc. did actually work (now the NETS at Isa 37.36 reads properly: "eight-five thousand"). But then changing back to Ezra SIL gives the same error.

And it's in ID (as shown above) that I'm having the issue in the LEH lexicon--as far as I know, my only font option for Instant Details is the text size, right? Can you reproduce this there?

EDIT: does Instant Details just use the font that is set in Tool Display defaults? If so, LEH and all other tools are set to Ezra SIL, if that helps.

EDIT 2: Yep! That did it. Changing fonts in that place fixes the issue in ID, too.

So the issue is at least with Ezra SIL... I haven't systematically checked other fonts. The few others I tried worked well. Thanks for your help. Would love to go back to using Ezra SIL at some point, if possible.

Edited by Abram K-J

Note now the attached, using Baskerville and Cardot fonts. Traded one set of rectangles for another in LEH.

post-31802-0-90407900-1373637272_thumb.jpg

post-31802-0-75471500-1373637299_thumb.jpg

The fundamental issue is that we have limited control over how font substitution works in iOS compared to OS X. On the desktop, if a font doesn't have a particular glyph for a given character and style, the system is smart enough to search other fonts and/or attempt to synthesize the glyph needed. For iOS, it appears that the algorithm is much more limited.

When using fonts like Cardo or Ezra SIL which are optimized for original language glyphs, it is more likely that they don't have some common "English" glyphs particularly if they are needed in a style like italics or bold.

The richness of text control and rendering is always improving in iOS so I expect we'll be able to improve the situation in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.