Considering purchase of an Ipad Using Accordance

fmcfee

Excellent news! Thanks, Julie.

My 64 Gb iPad feels cramped...

Rick -

The new one is now available. http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad. That was fast!

I wonder when the next refresh is coming? Apple just released the "4" in October. Are they moving to a fall schedule, as some have proposed, or perhaps a biannual one?

Thanks for the update, Julie.

Yes, that is the question, isn't it: buy now or wait until later? Of course, just yesterday, I got a notice on my iPad that I only had 5 MB of space left. This is pretty frequent, and I have to juggle things around.

Of course, I don't really have the funds at the moment. Getting a 128 GB iPad would depend upon selling my iPad 2 and my iPad mini, and then I'd have to scrounge up the difference, but maybe I can start working toward that.

And I'd go with the WiFi-only version, if it weren't for the fact that GPS only comes with the WiFi + cellular.

We're got a friend in ministry who is a pilot. He uses the plane to get to speaking locations, and my husband or one of the other guys in the ministry group sometimes accompany him. He will be getting the larger capacity iPad, but has to have the GPS, also, for all his flight stuff. Not having to carry all the weight of the flight maps is huge for small aircraft.

We're got a friend in ministry who is a pilot. He uses the plane to get to speaking locations, and my husband or one of the other guys in the ministry group sometimes accompany him. He will be getting the larger capacity iPad, but has to have the GPS, also, for all his flight stuff. Not having to carry all the weight of the flight maps is huge for small aircraft.

A little off topic but do you know if the GPS in the iPad works without a SIM or cellular contract? In addition to using an iPad to study and read, I'd like to use it as a golf GPS to know how far I am from the hole or how to find my way back out of the woods after losing a ball. I don't want a cell phone bill or contract. Thanks.

I think he needs the Wi-Fi + Cellular to be able to use the iPad in flight. There's something he plugs into the port that enables him to use satellite GPS. Anyway, he's a big iPad fan (and Mac fan).

I don't want the cell phone bill or contract with my iPad, either, though I think you can buy service for an iPad on a month-by-month basis. I just don't need it, and don't want to pay for it. Not with the initial iPad purchase, and not with a monthly bill.

We won't be upgrading our iPads for a while, yet. We've got Retina iPads with the old connectors. Next time I will get probably the 64G one, however. I am frequently down to 5G or less on mine, and am careful not to keep much video on it. We will probably be moving to biennial iPad refreshes which is what we do with our phones. I don't really have to make a decision now.

A little off topic but do you know if the GPS in the iPad works without a SIM or cellular contract? In addition to using an iPad to study and read, I'd like to use it as a golf GPS to know how far I am from the hole or how to find my way back out of the woods after losing a ball. I don't want a cell phone bill or contract. Thanks.

I had a wifi + 3G iPad 1, and the GPS worked fine without a cell contract/service. It was a separate piece of hardware inside the device. I'm sure it's the same with the latest hardware (I now have a wifi-only iPad 3).

That's good news. I know the GPS doesn't work without a cellular signall as iPhone and iPad use cell towers to acquire GPS.

They use cell/wifi when they are available, but even without those signals, the GPS can locate you. It just takes a little longer. You also can't load online map data without a data connection, but some GPS apps have all the map data stored locally on your device.

Perfect, now to wait for Retina iPad Mini (March or October) or just get a non-Retina iPad Mini now?

The Bad Elf GPS products are highly rated and have a number of apps for specific uses (including Golf). I've seen one in action on an iPad 3 WiFi for GPS directions and it's nice.

Edited by Rick Bennett

I'd be very surprised if we see a Retina iPad Mini next month. Holiday quarter is more likely. It's going to be a tough piece of technology to build because of the amount of battery they will need to put in such a small space to power that display. We just bought an iPad Mini last week at Best Buy for $275 (16GB). They are starting to have the open box Minis now, and you can get a great deal on one. If you are looking to buy a Mini, check out a Best Buy and ask if they have any open box. Both my iPad 3 and my wife's Mini were purchased that way, and they both work great.

OK - We're headed OT here, but does anyone have a good map app that loads the maps on your device so that you can use them sans Wi-Fi, cell signal, or GPS? Basically, an e-version of an old fashioned map? I found one with a web search that is rated decently called, You Need a Map. Does anyone have any experience with this one, or perhaps another?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Julie. The theme set for this Sunday is temptation!

I have read this thread with interest, I have been happy with my iPad 2 16 gig and it forces me to be disciplined in what I store on it and since installing accordance, I rarely use the the full version on my MBP. The iPad is always within range and instant start up and is easy to hold and read and my library is always with me, particularly at meetings.

With all the liturgy in PDF installed together with converting all my music scores into PDF for use in forScore and turning pages with my Bt 105 AirTurn while leading the music, I use the ipad for preparing and leading services and not having the retina display isn't an issue, though of course I would replace it with the latest should it ever get damaged. However, with a new larger model released, my advice would be to look for people upgrading and snap up a bargain. (I got a 2 month old 64 gig 4s for a bargain when the iPhone 5 was released.)

Hey, UK - The new stuff is always so appealing that there often really is a battle with coveting! My husband and I alternate years with iPhone upgrades. He has a 5, I have a 4S. My 2-yr phone contract is up at about the time the 5S (or whatever they're going to call it) comes out. But I don't expect iPad upgrades until 2014. You would be amazed (or maybe horrified) at how we justified going from iPad 2's to iPad Retinas - "Well, we're made a profit on our Apple stock." That kind of thinking can really get out of hand, and it's not the norm around here.

Edited by Julie Falling

Just imagine what your choice will be in 2014 and what will be available on it by then! ;o) something to look forward to!!! Fraser

Updated: just done a price comparison and the 128 gb is retailing in the UK for about $200 more than for you in the states. Just as we'll I can download accordance at the US prices!

Edited by ukfraser

We begin to wonder what else Apple can do to improve an already great gadget. They have consistently given us better performance in hardware and OS for computers and the iOS devices, so 2014 might genuinely have some really nice new features. I can't imagine what they might be . . .