Accordance on iPad Mini or iPad Air

Elijah

I'm not privy to such info, either, but it has been a request. It goes back at least a year. More than two panes on an iPhone would be useless, More than two on a full-size iPad would be very useful. Our developers do listen to feature requests and, for all we know, it may be a planned inclusion in a future release. We can only speculate. If we were able to do 3 parallel panes, or a 2x2 grid, the mini might be a little cramped. I guess the thing to do is to buy what suits for all the other ways we use our iPads and not worry about what a future Accordance iOS release may look like.

The resolution of the iPad Air and retina iPad mini are exactly the same. They have the same number of pixels. The mini's are just a fraction smaller, so all of the touch targets are bigger on the full size iPad. The main benefit of this is for typing or for those who just want everything to be a little bigger. But the full size iPad won't display any more information, and the mini won't be more cramped.

Edited by JonathanHuber

Hey, Jonathan — For those of us with old eyes who need to bump up the font size to be able to read anything, the mini would not be able to display as much text were the print exactly the same size. So the mini really might be cramped. Just wait until you're my age, and be grateful you don't have an astigmatism.

I can hardly wait till i can compare a retina mini with my 3....... I won;t say it;s always most comfortable size but generally i find a 8x11 PDF is quite readable on my iPAD... if it was as readable on a mini in a year or so when i upgrade i will go with a mini...

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

My new iPad Mini Retina has arrived! That means I can give you a direct comparison between how things look on the iPad 4 and the new Mini. Here you go:

post-29461-0-71415400-1384809386_thumb.png

post-29461-0-40197600-1384809408_thumb.png

Both copies are using Georgia 18 for the english text. I'm not sure where the Greek and Hebrew size comes from. Possibly the English text size?

Edited by Ed Heckman

Could you do a screen capture in the iPad itself? You press the top right button and the home button at the same time. The fact that one iPad is in top of the other affects the depth of field of the camera you are using and will not give you an accurate rendering of the difference.

I could, but that would not show you anything about the relative visual sizes. Both have the exact same number of pixels, they're just smaller on the iPad Mini.

Edited by Ed Heckman

I wasn't think about size but about how Accordance (not being retina ready) looks in a retina screen.

EDIT… Sorry for some reason I got confused and was thinking of the MAC Book Pro with Retina.

Edited by davidmedina

I wasn't think about size but about how Accordance (not being retina ready) looks in a retina screen.

The iOS app has always supported the retina iPhones and iPads.

• Like 1

I use the iPad mini for exactly what you want to do with it. Accordance works good on it (Although I wish I could touch and hold the notes dots to call up the notes for a verse) and I use the kindle app constantly for an e-reader. I am very happy with the screen size of my mini.

I'm loving the iPad Mini w/ Retina. Tim (Dr. J) got one too. Very happy with it.

Well, I got an iPad Air a week ago. I'm really enjoying the lighter weight and faster processor. I found a case I like on Amazon that doesn't add much weight. I drop the iPad + case into a Brenthaven ProStyle sleeve when not in use. Mostly because of Accordance, I went to the 64G model. I am a very happy customer.

It was Dan's comment regarding reading a PDF on an full-sized iPad that really tipped the scales for me. In landscape mode I am able to read the full width without fiddling with it. I would not be able to do that on a smaller device. Since that is function that matters to me, I spent the extra $100 and am carrying a larger device.

My husband gave his old iPad 3 to our daughter, who took her iPad 2 to Target for $200 card toward a new iPad. She has mailed us the card which my husband will use toward a new iPad Air. He is actually planning to go to Target on Thanksgiving, risking life & limb, to buy the iPad he wants and to get the Black Friday $100 gift card with his purchase. That's assuming they have the 64G Wifi that he wants. I'm not leaving the house! Meanwhile, he's using my old one which we will sell on eBay when he gets the new one. The pink Smart Cover doesn't seem to be bothering him much.

• Like 1

The iOS app has always supported the retina iPhones and iPads.

Sorry, I saw "retina" and I got confused with the discussion on the MAc Book with retina and the desktop Accordance. My mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided on the iPad Air after using both for PDFs and Accordance. For Accordance-only use the Mini seemed to be the right size and easier to hold. The problem with PDFs on the Mini is that you in most cases have to zoom in and out for each page (or scroll in landscape mode). I have for example a commentary as PDF and I can switch very quickly between that and Accordance using the 4 finger swipe gesture. Thats even faster than choosing a module inside Accordance.

Another thing I didn't like specifically about my iPad Mini was that it had the burn-in issue on the edges. There was a slight blue border that was visible on bright content. Not every Mini seems to have that problem.

Edited by Elijah