1st Purchase With Having Starter Edition

Michael Jones

Hello,

I have the starter edition and am wondering what y'all think is a good first purchase to use with Accordance?

I read the ESVS and attend a Church of Christ, I'm non dominational and recently became a christian. With all the selections of books its a little daunting to say the least.

I know there are probably a million different responses to this question...just looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Mike

It seems like it was just the other day I was asking the same thing. :)

The ESV Study Bible is really good and very useful. Also the IVP Essential Collection is a great resource. They are great resources to start with, I think. Dr. J has couple of podcasts that talk about each one. Those are great resources. I use them all the time and are my first to go to. Another great resource is the Life Application Study Bible and the Mounce Expository Dictionary/Lexicon.

If you like Accordance and think you will continue to invest in it, you may consider upgrading to the Bible Study Collection in addition to adding the above resources as it will add for you the main Bible translations that will allow you to compare translations like the HCSB, the Message, the NET, NIV, and NLT among others. It also adds several commentaries as well as the Holman Illustrated dictionary, Bible Theme Dictionary.

I think that is plenty to chew on.

Edited by davidmedina

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Accordance! There are certainly a lot of books and the best option for you will depend on how much money you want to spend. You probably will want a combination of dictionaries/commentaries that will help explain the meaning of Bible passages or help you understand different teachings. For someone just getting into bible study, I think two great options would be the the ESV study bible or the Bible Study Collection. The ESV study bible has tons of helpful notes, book introductions, maps, and articles, and it all comes in a single tool for relatively little money. If you want a little more (or even in addition to this), the upgrade to the Bible Study Collection will add a variety of dictionaries and commentaries, including the excellent Tyndale Commentary, plus an assortment of other books and translations.

The IVP essential is a collection of specialized Bible dictionaries plus a couple of commentaries and a Bible atlas. It's a good collection, but the first two options may be more useful for you at this time.

• Like 1

Mike,

The first thing I bought when I became a Christian, almost 35 years ago was a Study Bible. It was so helpful, as it had a little bit of everything maps, commentary, intro etc. The Stater Collection has the New Bible Commentary a Dictionary and some other things. If you don't have a good study bible, might be the place to start, and using the resources in Accordance you have. There are so many resources as you have said it seems a little hard in chosing.

I always wait till I need something and target that resource rather that just buying. So the last thing I bought was an upgrade to the Essential collection, because it was cheaper that buying the Tyndale commentaries seperately, and contained some other resources that I needed at the time. I find I preach more from the OT and needed a good complete OT commentary. Others have different needs and so will buy different things.

As in photography, use what you have, find out were it is lacking and then supplement it; in this case what your library is lacking and then concentrate on that area.

Some of the things that capture my interest may not interest you. But having said that, a good set of commentaries is so useful. But then you have to ask yourself, what commentaries? which ones are the best for you and your needs? Are you happy with a commentary with short explainations, or ones with a more technical approach that looks at the original languages.

It may be that if you are interested in say the Tyndale set (by the way the Tyndale set is a very good set, especially their OT volumes), the Bible Study Collection is the cheaper option than buying the set of commentaries. Or are you interested in more Bible explanation, in which case the Bible Speaks Today, or the NIV application series, a step up, would be more of what you need.

The New Bible Commentary is a very good one volume commentary, just brief, and I usually turn it it or the ESV Study Bible for brief comments before anything else.

The Atlas is also useful and dictionaries, but with dictionaries you face the same choice as with commentaries, who much information do you want or need.

Are you using these items for your own use or as a tool to teach others?

Are you interested in other languages and perhaps sometime down the road doing some Greek or Hebrew? or are you content to not venture there?

All these kind of questiond pop up

I don't know your other interests, whether you are into history or other areas. Therefore can not advise you on those.

For me I am interested in manuscripts, orignal languages and things to help with preaching, so those are my areas, and I buy accordingly.

Hope this helps

Hi Mike and welcome to Accordance!

When I first bought Accordance a number of years ago I added to the Starter set the ESV Study Bible. There is a good amount of information in it but not so much that you will find it overwhelming. There's a Dr. J. video on it that you might want to view to get a feel for it. I would also suggest watching his video on Bible Dictionaries. He says (and I agree) that commentaries are one of the most biased of resources and a good Bible Dictionary is much more valuable. Your starter set should have come with Easton's and Eerdmans. They might be enough for your current need but if not a more comprehensive one could be a good investment. Another option would be to get more Bible translations so you can compare/contrast. Finally an upgrade to the Bible Study collection might also make financial sense and give you much of what you want/need.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the feedback. I went looking at the ESV study bible and found theres two options for purchase. The add-on or the full version at $40 or $60. I have the ESVS but wonder what really is the difference between the two versions of the ESV study bible. If I get the add-on version am I missing anything verse getting the full version? Can I use it as a standalone or does it have to be used with the ESVS running? Not even sure if thats a valid question with Accordances's capabilities.

Finally, why is it so expensive, even for the add-on? I can purchase the actual hardback book for less than the add-on, I get it though with Accordance portability and search capabilities, but still electronic forms of books are usually cheaper.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Let me add my welcome to Accordance to the others. You will find this a very supportive and knowledgeable community of users. I concur with the recommendation of the ESV study Bible as being one of your first purchases.

Regarding your question about the difference between the full and add-on, there is no difference in the module. The difference is in the purchase price is the FULL includes the ESVS with it and the other just adds the ESV Study Bible as an add-on.

I think many of us also identify with your question as to why so expensive? There are pros and cons to owning print versus digital. I myself have chosen going forward to purchase only digital for portability sake and the speed of searching. Accordance invests a lot of time and effort in not only providing simple search capability but multi-level searching. Like the others I value the podcasts of Dr. J. Starting out I highly recommend his podcasts 9.1 and 9.2 on inductive Bible Study. You can find the podcasts here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/lighting-the-lamp/id312752157

I am a preacher for the churches of Christ and welcome you into the family. Best wishes in your Bible study!

• Like 1

Mike,

As Tony reported above, the price difference in the paper verus digital is because of programing. When Acordance gets the etext of the module, they spend time placing links in it to make it easier to use for us. This is why there is a price difference. I myself first bought the paper edition, but years later when I bought into Accordance, made the decision to get the digital edition. The digital edition has advantages, for instance I can use it on my ipad, laptop, ipod touch, if I had an iphone would work on that too. Plus, the advantage of storing my complete Acordance library on my ipad, I have access whereever I am, is lghter in terms of weight too.

Plus with the digital edition you can enlarge the maps, enlarge the print. Copy maps and diagrams to use in bible study material etc.

Plus the ESV notes can be viewed alongside other Bible versons. Say I an looking t the ESV open with a pae open for the Study notes. Sometimes the ESV is not the ideal translation for some parts odf scripture. I can close my ESV Bible, and open say the HCSB while still having the ESV notes displayed.

This to my mind makes the ESV worth the extra $$

EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE COMMENTARY - ABRIDGED EDITION (2 VOLUMES) This is a wonderful abridgement of the expositors bible that is available as well......

THE TORAH: A MODERN COMMENTARY Just added to Accordance, this is a fabulous commentary on the PENTATEUCH.

ASBURY BIBLE COMMENTARY Is a wonderful little commentary from a Wesleyan perspective.

HOLMAN OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARIES (32 VOLUMES) is a great conservative applicable commentary.

BARCLAY'S NEW DAILY STUDY BIBLE - NEW TESTAMENT is one of the most fabulous devotional commentaries available.

ESSENTIAL IVP REFERENCE COLLECTION V.2 MODULES has over a dozen of great resources in it.

JEWISH STUDY BIBLE as one person put it finally a study bible with chutzpah.

REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE NOTES Is a wonderful little study Bible with insightful notes.

LIFE APPLICATION STUDY BIBLE NOTES Is one of the most popular study Bibles selling millions of copies in numerous adaptations.

NEW LIVING TRANSLATION STUDY BIBLE NOTES I know the ESV study bible has already been mentioned and the NIV study bible is also available, but all in all I find rgw NLT one of the nicest balanced study Bibles.

I have listed some of my favourites available in Accordance.. there are also many other great mulit volumes to investigate too. I hope you find one or two items in my list that will serve your spiritual life in growing closer to God.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis
  • Like 1

Hi Michael,

There is no difference between the "full" ESV Study Bible and the Add-on. Since All Accordance 10 Collections include the ESVS, you simply need to purchase the $40 add-on. The full $70 version of the ESV Study Bible is mainly for those who purchased Accordance 9 or earlier (as these did not include the ESV translation).

Edited by Darin Allen

Michael –

Let me add my welcome to that of the guys. And I, too, highly recommend the ESV Study Bible Notes. A good study Bible is basically Bibie + single volume commentary. The ESV Study Bible is particularly good. I agree with Paul that having a nice collection of Bible versions is very valuable. When you see differences and track down what is behind them, you learn a lot.

At some point, probably sooner rather than later, you're going to want to buy up to the Bible Study Collection. That will give you more dictionaries, commentaries, and a whole bunch of Bible versions. There are only a couple of things I would add to it for the next couple of years: The Atlas (which I use more than the Timeline) and the NAS95 with Strong's Numbers Group. The entire Graphics Bundle is worth every penny you pay for it, and it's a better deal in the long run, but that it a lot to spend all at once. I ended up buying the modules one at a time, starting with the Atlas. If you can afford to get the Bundle, that is a better way to go.

The NASB/NAS95 continues to be my favorite Bible version. Every version falls down somewhere – they all have their warts. However, the NASB/NAS95 translators were particularly meticulous in 1) handling verb tenses, and 2) being consistent about translating the same original language word with the same English word when context allows.

The Christian sitting there with an English Bible in front of him ought to be able to tell that the same Greek word/word-group is behind the English he's reading. For instance, in Rom 7:7-8, covet/covet/covetousness (ESV) comes from the Greek words επιθυμια/επιθυμεω, noun/verb cognates. Most of the modern versions make this clear, but the KJV has lust/covet/concupiscence and the NKJV has covetousness/covet/evil desire. Even an English reader who knows some Greek should not have to go digging around to be able to see that in his English Bible, in my opinion. There are many places in the Scriptures, however, where most modern versions fail to be consistent - one of my pet peeves. I think the NAS95 is probably the best in this department, though it does not read as smoothly as the ESV.

One of the many things that was drummed into us by our professor in 2nd year Greek is that the imperfect tense ought not to be translated as a simple past without a good reason to do so. The result of lack of care with the imperfect can be seen in Acts 18:4-5 (read vss 1-6). The ESV is sloppy, with the transition between Paul's Sabbath-only preaching (v4) and full-time preaching (v5) obscured. The KJV is worse (v4 says the people were persuaded; v 6 makes it clear that they were not persuaded). The NASB/NAS95 handles the passage beautifully:

4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks. 5 But when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul began devoting himself completely to the word, solemnly testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ.

There are three different uses of the imperfect tense (underlined), all well-rendered in the NAS95.

1. he was reasoning —> Paul was customarily preaching/reasoning on the Sabbath. It was his ongoing habit.
  2. trying to persuade —> Paul was attempting to persuade (but the persuasion was not complete - we learn in v6 that he was not successful).
  3. began devoting himself —> instead of only Sabbath preaching, Paul began to preach full-time (probably because a monetary gift from the Macedonian churches brought by Silas and Timothy made it possible for him to give up the tent-making).

Anyway, that's my sales pitch for owning a lot of Bible versions in general, and the NAS95 Group in particular! The more interpretive Bible versions, while not always faithful to the original languages, are useful as commentaries.

Unless you decide to take on an original language, you may not want to buy up to a larger collection, but just add modules piecemeal as need arises. (As Phil said, buying the Essential Collection may turn out to be the most economical way to get a couple of modules you want. I, too, really like the Tyndale Commentary series.) The forums are a great place to come to get advice regarding which resource best fits your need. The multi-volume commentaries are great, but can be very overwhelming and have too much detail for a relatively new Christian. And even for someone who has been saved for decades, there is often a desire for a short summary or quick geographical note instead of a 4000 word technical discussion of some obscure point.

• Like 1

Julie's comment's made me realize I had completely forgot to mention and larger dictionaries. Now Eerdman'a that came with your starter package is fantastic... but at some point you might want a more robust multivolume dictionary. It is hard to go too wrong with either Anchor or New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. I personally feel Anchor is still the better set but I am very found of NIDB too. I should mention we have been told that the revised International Standard Bible Encyclopedia will soon be released too... Please go here to see a comparison of the available mulitvolume sets..*

Should I get the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

-Dan

*The one sample as noted there is from the previous incarnation of Zondervan's. It has been updated but i believe it update is rather minor with most articles unchanged.

Thank You to all of you and for your feedback!!!!!!!

I'm downloading the ESV Study Bible now and can't wait to start using it. I plan on my next two purchases to be the Bible Study and graphics modules. Hopefully a christmas present.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike

You're in for a great time, Mike, and probably at least a little frustration. The learning curve for Accordance isn't too steep, but it does exist. We've all had times when we were stumped, so don't feel bad about coming back and asking 'basic' questions.

The podcasts are very, very helpful – I've watched almost all of them more than once. Also helpful are the Training Video Archives. With both you can pause and try to duplicate the search or analysis or amplification. It really helps to cement it in your brain if you've do done it instead of just watched it.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 1

I'm downloading the ESV Study Bible now and can't wait to start using it. I plan on my next two purchases to be the Bible Study and graphics modules.

Great plan. This would be an excellent set of resources and will take you pretty far. Happy Bible-studying!

• Like 1