Errors & typos in HALOT (and version issues)

Peter Brylov Christensen

Having used HALOT in print edition (2001 "study version") for over four years, I have come across the odd flaw every now and then. Even though it's a great dictionary, there are bound to be some errors when there are over 2000 pages to deal with. Anyway, I'd be writing the corrections down on the relevant page for future reference, whenever I saw a flaw. It was kind of pointless though; no one could really benefit from this other than myself.

Then today I figured that all this self-serving meticulousness could be put to some actual use for people using the Accordance version, so I quickly proceeded to click on the "Report a Correction" under "help" in the Accordance app, but then I stopped to think about the possible consequences of doing so: When you make a reference to any given work in a paper, the version in question is an important piece of data. My Accordance version reads "HALOT. The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament by Ludwig Koehler and Walter Baumgartner. translated and edited under the supervision of M.E.J. Richardson. © 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000 by Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, The Netherlands. Electronic text hypertexted and prepared by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 3.1 ". At least it's possible to tell it apart from the print edition, but they should be identical in theory, seeing that the release year is still the same - 2000.

Yet If these flaws were to be corrected, the Accordance version would no longer be identical to the print edition but rather based on it, meaning they would, strictly speaking, be entirely different books and not just versions. This is a problem, because I'm writing on my Master's thesis right now and I'm using a lot of Accordance literature for it, so I'm no longer sure how I'm gonna do my quotations, indices and bibliography-lists. This is due to the fact that my professors will consult the print edition works in question and not the Accordance versions.

At any rate, here are all the flaws in HALOT I've found the past four years. Some of them have already been taken care of by the Accordance team, however - they're obviously no longer being an issue, so I've put them in italics and in brackets to separate them from the current flaws that need to be fixed.

Page 228 - Under the entry "דָּנִיֵּאל", there is an error at meaning -4 where it reads "Ezk 1414.20 282,". It should've read "283", seeing that Daniel is mentioned there and not in 282. Furthermore, when moving the marker over 282, the Biblical reference is also set to Ezk 282.

Page 281 - Under the entry "I זרח", there is an error at the qal conjugation where it reads "pt. זֹוֹרֵהַ". It should've read "זוֹרֵחַ". The transliteration from Instant Details reflects this flawed spelling as well.

Page 296 - Under the entry "חוּט", there is an error where it reads "Qoh 412". It should've read Qoh 412. Furthermore, when moving the marker over 412, the Biblical reference is set to Qoh 12,2, which isn't only wrong, but makes no sense either.

[Page 311 - Under the entry "I חיל" a small typo used to be found at the polal conjugation where it read "Ps 824f". It should've read "Pr 824f".]

[Page 426 - Under the entry "יצא", a small typo used to be found at the hifil conjugation meaning -3, where it read "dsipleasure". It should've read "displeasure".]

[Page 645 - The entry "משׁך" used to be misspelled as "משׁד".]

Page 667 - Under the entry "נגחּ", there is an error at the qal conjugation where it reads "with עַל Is 911". It should've read "Is 91". Furthermore, when moving the marker over 911, the Biblical reference is also set to 911.

[Page 685 - The entry "II נחה" used to be misspelled as "II נהה".]

[Page 709 - The entry "נֹפַח" used to be misspelled as "נֹפַת".]

Page 715 - Under the entry "I נצה", there is an error at the nifal conjugation where it reads "Sir 8,3, יִגָּצוּ". It should've read "יִנָּצוּ". The transliteration from Instant Details reflects this flawed spelling as well.

[Page 717 - Under the entry "נצל", there used to be an error at the piel conjugation where it read "ינֲצְּלוּ". It should've read "יֲנַצְּלוּ".]

[Page 1235 - The entry "רֵכָה" used to be misspelled as "רֵבָה".]

Page 1237 - Under the entry "רכךְ", there is an error at the pual conjugation where it reads "pf. רֻכְּבָה". It should've read "רֻכְּכָה". The transliteration from Instant Details reflects this flawed spelling as well.

With kind regards

Pchris

*EDIT*

I just sent the corrections to Accordance by mail for good measure.

Edited by Pchris

• 3 months later...

..Any updates on the matter?

We have many hundreds of modules, and are developers busy on other tasks as well. We do appreciate the errors being reported, especially by email, but we cannot implement every correction promptly. It may be several months before we update HALOT again.

Right, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the update, Helen!