The difference between the HMT-W4 and the BHS

Emanuel Cardona

Dear Friends,

Can anyone who has worked with the HMT-W4 and the BHS provide me some of the differences that exists between them (i.e., in the hebrew text), if any. I was told that the HMT-W4 preserves the exact same text as the BHS, it just adds the alternative reading of a word in the text (in brackets) rather than in a footnote. This is probably why Accordance has the HMT-W4 as being "almost identical" with the BHS. Also, will the alternative reading of a word in the HMT-W4 (in brackets) affect or show up when searching within the text for a particular word (e.g, lemma, inflection, root), forcing me to check every verse to check if the occurrences of a particular word being searched for includes the bracketed words or not. Please let me know if I need to be more clear. Thank you in advance for the help.

Emanuel

To my understanding, this is the difference.

• The BHS-T preserves the BHS tagged text with the notes referring to the textual apparatus
  • The HMT-W4 preserves the BHS tagged text, but it has no references to the apparatus. It does, however, have the proper Qere and Ketiv notations in the text.

For more information about the Qere and Ketiv, look at the "read me." How Accordance preserves them is quite well thought-out.

• The BHS-T preserves the BHS tagged text with the notes referring to the textual apparatus
  • The HMT-W4 preserves the BHS tagged text, but it has no references to the apparatus. It does, however, have the proper Qere and Ketiv notations in the text.

For more information about the Qere and Ketiv, look at the "read me." How Accordance preserves them is quite well thought-out.

HMT-W4: What about when doing word searches within the text, does the bracketed words show up when doing word searches? If yes, then that means that I have to double check my word occurrences and not count the bracketed words manually.

BHS-T: The words that are bracketed words in the HMT-W4 are in the apparatus so they will not show up when doing word searches withing the text (unlike HMT-W4).

For all texts, including the HMT-W4, you can use the (+) button to determine how you want to treat bracketed words, including them, excluding them, or only searching them.

For all texts, including the HMT-W4, you can use the (+) button to determine how you want to treat bracketed words, including them, excluding them, or only searching them.

I am sorry, but I am new to Accordance. Is there a way you can show me by video or screenshot or some other way (baby steps I guess)? When doing searches what exactly do I have to do to not include the bracketed words in the HMT-W4 so that the search results are the same like if I was searching withing the BHS-T that does not have the bracketed words in the text because they are in the apparatus?

Hi Emanuel,

Take a look at this link which explains the search entry area : http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX10/Default.htm#topics/04_gswa/the_search_entry_area.htm

Thx

D

Thank you so much Daniel and Joel. I just have to choose not to include the bracketed words and then search withing the HMT-W4. You directed me exactly to where I needed to go!

For more information about the Qere and Ketiv, look at the "read me."

Where is this? Clicking on the "i" for "info" only gives a little snippet of information. Seems that there should be a link to the "read me" file there.

Where is this? Clicking on the "i" for "info" only gives a little snippet of information. Seems that there should be a link to the "read me" file there.

I agree.

You can go to this post from a thread (and the posts below it) to find out how to get at Read Me files. Putting a link or something to them on the info section is a good idea, but there are a couple of ways in the meantime to access them.

You can go to this post from a thread (and the posts below it) to find out how to get at Read Me files. Putting a link or something to them on the info section is a good idea, but there are a couple of ways in the meantime to access them.

Thank you.

The readme's can be found in the help menu

Thank you.

Thank you, Ken, that was a lot easier to find than doing a search for "Read-Me Modules" in the Library search box. However, they don't even look alike. The tab that opens with the search method seems to be a list of maybe all modules' Read Me info? I can't even find HMT-W4 and BHS in the list there. But then, when I have a very short list (see screenshot attached) and definitely BHS and HMT-4 are not there. (I do have both modules in Accordance on my computer). Any more thoughts on where these illusive Read Mes are? :wacko:post-3736-0-05233300-1414823189_thumb.png

We only have Read Me files for certain Bibles that had very long copyright information, and for original texts where we need to provide explanation of the sources or the arrangements of the material.

There are additional differences. The BHS-T reproduces the Biblia Hebraica Septuaginta (although there are a few typos as this text has not been in use as long or as widely as HMT-W4). The HMT-W4 is maintained by the J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research at Westminster Theological Seminary. The scholars there based their text on the Leningrad Codex, which was also the basis of the BHS. However, scholars can disagree (gasp!) about how to read the manuscript and so the texts differ in certain places.

• Like 1

There are additional differences. The BHS-T reproduces the Biblia Hebraica Septuaginta (although there are a few typos as this text has not been in use as long or as widely as HMT-W4). The HMT-W4 is maintained by the J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research at Westminster Theological Seminary. The scholars there based their text on the Leningrad Codex, which was also the basis of the BHS. However, scholars can disagree (gasp!) about how to read the manuscript and so the texts differ in certain places.

Is it possible to make a search in Accordance for a list of all the different readings in HMT-W4 compared to the BHS?

Hello Pchris

Yes take them both as parallel go to text compare and then click a right click rights of the text compare.

(I write a post about this: the Hidden functions of Accordance but I don't find it at the moment. I believe there are more like this)

See pic where you see the 1. Arrow

Greetings

Fabian

post-32723-0-20377800-1414840962_thumb.png

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 3

You can also go to the Display drop-down menu to open a separate pane with "List Text Differences," which shows the differences lined up in a two-column table.

Re: the Qetiv-Kere, someone else more knowledgeable than I will have to weigh in on how to exclude bracketed words from the comparison list (if it's possible).

• Like 1

I see in an older video for Accordance 9 or so this function and I can't believe that this was killed in Accordance 10. So I go to text compare and click many times in different places in Accordance 10 and then one time comes the pop-up menu.

take them both as parallel go to text compare and then click a right click rights of the text compare field.

This is not written in the Helpfiles. Please add.

Greetings

Fabian

Thanks Fabian and Abram - I'll go check it out!

Why does the text compare list list all the ":" as a difference?

Greetings

Fabian

post-32723-0-71894400-1414851832_thumb.png

Thank you so much for that piece of information.

By the way, for the person who is new to Accordance, you might also want to check out some of the live webinars. They're an excellent way to get up to speed on the application, ask questions, etc. The trainers are fantastic and have been a huge help to me.

• Like 1