New MacBook Pro with Retina Display

bnelson

Well from what i understand it should be pretty much supported from the get go. I know other software seems to be handling it well except some graphics and text using a webkit, rather than native mac stuff because they were done with cross platform stuff in mind…. But since Accordance is pure mac, if they have been following apple guidelines and software there show be no issues, to my understanding as a non- programer/simple user.

-dan

I am reading this on a Retina MacBook Pro, and sadly must report that Accordance 9 does not 'just work'. The fonts are blurry. Accordance for iOS looks wonderful on Retina displays, though it did take some time to get that.

I am reading this on a Retina MacBook Pro, and sadly must report that Accordance 9 does not 'just work'. The fonts are blurry. Accordance for iOS looks wonderful on Retina displays, though it did take some time to get that.

Sorry to hear that but I bet accordance has support for retina mac before any other Bible software out there…. I mean today it is one lone macbook pro… but by this time next year i would bet most all macs released will have retina displays, the Airs might be later since retina displays are more poet hungry from what i have heard.

-Dan

Hi Everyone,

Our developers are working on this issue, but due to some changes that are needed under the hood this will not be a simple fix, and so the best we can say at this point is that we hope to have a fix in a few months. We are aware of how important this issue is to new MacBook Pro Retina users, and we will do our best to get retina functionality up and running as soon as we are able. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same issue with iWork Pages. I found the answer on a forum: click on "get info" at the application file in finder. You will notice a checkbox saying "open in low resolution" is checked. Uncheck it. I did this with Pages and it fixed it. There is as yet no option to uncheck the box in the "get info" window for Accordance. I'm sure there's a lot going on "under the hood".

• 3 weeks later...

From what I read, Carbon applications can't properly support the retina display, and are just scaled, resulting in comparative blurriness. Sounds like a massive rewrite of Accordance is called for to Cocoa, only Accordance know for sure.

That's not actually true. Carbon applications can support the retina display, especially if they use standard text handling.

John: That's the problem for us, we don't use standard text rendering. We will be working on this issue as soon as we can. In the meantime, if anyone finds a third party app that improves the text of Accordance on retina display, please share the information with us.

Yes Helen, I thought that was probably the case. I just wanted to clear up the misconception that Carbon apps will not work properly with the Retina display.

we don't use standard text rendering

I'm curious, how is the text rendered in Accordance? I found a thread on the forum from '96 indicating it had been moved to Quartz.

Could someone with the Retina display upload an image of Accordance to illustrate the rendering issues?

• 3 weeks later...

I found this solution, which apparently works for MS Word, and there is a hint that it might work for other applications. (I do not yet have the Retina MBP, is there anyone willing to try this and report back?)

http://www.cultofmac.com/182025/use-this-quick-trick-to-force-microsoft-word-to-use-retina-display/

I've been told it works, but one must follow the steps exactly.

Derek

(2) Another short term fix is to set the Macbook's display resolution to more space (1920x1200) and then enlarge the font sizes in Accordance's Preferences to a larger value. What happens if you try this? Would someone be able to upload a screen capture to compare the options?

(3) A third option is to set the resolution to a true one-to-one pixel native resolution of 2880×1800 (instead of the actual effect, running 1440×900 and interpolating extra pixels). Here are several options for doing this: http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/18/3-ways-to-run-a-retina-macbook-pro-at-2880x1800-native-resolution/ If you do this, all the elements on screen will be tiny, but again, one can enlarge the fonts in Accordance. I don't know if this is workable.

Derek

I added the same text in a TextEdit window (at the same font size) for comparison, as TextEdit is optimized for the Retina display.

In my opinion, the fuzziness is there. It's not ideal, but it's usable.

I tried the first solution, and it did not work for either MS Word or Accordance. So maybe I wasn't doing something right.

The second solution, using scaled Display preferences, does improve the appearance! Some of the elements are smaller, but the fonts can be enlarged program-by-program, the icons on the dock can be enlarged, and the mouse/cursor can be enlarged in the Accessibility options.

Edited by Derek Lewis Knox

I am using Accordance 10.0.1 on a new MBP with Retina Display. I don't have any trouble reading and the pictures are wonderful

I am using Accordance 10.0.1 on a new MBP with Retina Display. I don't have any trouble reading and the pictures are wonderful

It's a tricky experience. If I work from my rMBP for any extended amount of time and work primarily from apps that are non-Retina optimized, I grow adapt to the experience of the slightly blurred text (as if there were a halo around each glyph). On the other hand, if I work with non-Retina optimized app along with a retina optimized (e.g., Safari, Sparrow Mail, Text Mate 2, etc.), my eyes get confused and even the retina text gain [edit: my eyes perceive] a fuzziness about it.

With the above in mind, when I hook up to my display, I actually prefer the blurred text of the non-Retina supported experience than viewing the pixels on the display. So now we just need Apple to update the Displays to Retina quality.

Edited by James Tucker

• 1 month later...

Apparently I am in the minority, but I can't stand anything on my MacBook Pro that isn't retina-enabled. It's harder for me to read and it hurts my eyes. Do we have an estimated date for support of this feature? I love Accordance, but I'm afraid it's back to Logos for me until Accordance supports this...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Retina MacBook Pro and the fuzzy fonts in Accordance (10.0.4) are quite difficult for me to read.

Having said that, I know making changes like this take time and resources, so I just wanted to say thanks to all the developers so much for making Accordance such a great program and a blessing to me and many over the years!

Hello everyone,

First-time post... so "G'day" from Australia!

I started using Accordance two or so months ago when I moved across to Mac, and my first Mac was the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

I've got to say it's really, really hard to read the text in Accordance whilst it is not optimised for this new display.

I almost switched from MS Word across to Pages because of this limitation, until MS Office finally released a patch a few weeks ago which fixed the quality of the display of the text (although it still hasn't fully updated all of the buttons and various other screen objects).

My advice to the good folk at Accordance would be that we'd love to have a version that would update the actual text of the modules, even if the icons and other screen objects remained chunky for the time being. It's not a perfect solution, but it would certainly help people in my situation who find the text so difficult to read.

I haven't tried any of the other fixes as suggested, as I'm a bit hesitant to risk destabilising my system.

Hope that's helpful as the team works hard to get things ready to utilise this great new technology.

Grace and peace,

Jodie.

Hi Jodie! Good to see you on the forums. Thanks for the "vote". I am sure the devs are working hard.

• 1 year later...

Is there an ETA for retina support at least? This is my favorite application but I can't stand the fuzzy letters :(