Tab titles

Andrew Perriman

I don't know if I've missed something or whether this amounts to a feature request. It would be very helpful, particularly when a lot of tabs are open, if the tab title consisted of the book reference currently being viewed in the tab rather than just the Bible version or collection. So, for example, if I have Luke 13 open in a tab, it would greatly aid navigation if 'Luke 13' rather than 'ESV 2' were given in the tab title. I get a bit frustrated having to go through a lot of open tabs to find the one I'm looking for.

It would be nice, come to think of it, if tabs containing searches also had some indication of the search text in the tab title. But perhaps this is too difficult technically.

You can rename a tab to any title you want. Right click (or control click) on the tab and choose Set Tab: Name.

I think that will do what you're wanting it to do. And if you have the same tabs open on a regular occasion, save the workspace with the tabs renamed and you won't have to set them up again.

You can rename a tab to any title you want. Right click (or control click) on the tab and choose Set Tab: Name.

I think that will do what you're wanting it to do. And if you have the same tabs open on a regular occasion, save the workspace with the tabs renamed and you won't have to set them up again.

Yes, I saw that option. Thanks. But it's only really a partial solution

Andrew, it sounds like in your workflow, you're using a new tab for each new search. It seems to me that Accordance is designed with the model in mind that you move from one search to the next in a given window, tab. For most, the module name is probably the most helpful default window name. I could imagine a preference to check that updates the window name upon each search.

If you use a launcher like Quicksilver or LaunchBar or Butler or KeyScripts you could have a quick command for renaming the current window using the current search criteria. Just a thought.

Andrew, it sounds like in your workflow, you're using a new tab for each new search. It seems to me that Accordance is designed with the model in mind that you move from one search to the next in a given window, tab. For most, the module name is probably the most helpful default window name. I could imagine a preference to check that updates the window name upon each search.

Maybe some people just need a messier workflow. When I'm working I have a lot of books, articles, print-outs, and so on, on my desk at the same time. I don't just get one book out, use it, then put it back on the shelf. I use Accordance in a similar way, with a lot of different texts and searches open at once. Books come in different shapes and sizes, so it's easy enough to know what's what. Several tabs with just ESV, GNT, Text (LXX), etc. open are not so easily identifiable.

Incidentally, I notice that if you change the displayed module on a 'Text' tab, the title updates itself, eg. from 'Text (LXX)' to 'Text (ESV)'. Would it not be possible to have 'Matt. 1:1 (ESV)'? I suppose the problem comes when you start scrolling through the text. Could the tab title update in the same way that the 'Go to' box at the bottom tracks the leading verse?

Maybe some people just need a messier workflow...Would it not be possible to have 'Matt. 1:1 (ESV)'?

And maybe some people need to start looking for more than one verse at a time. :)

Most of my searches are LONG strings, so your suggested format would get very cryptic and ugly very quick on my machine. In other words, if you have many tabs open, you have very few characters displaying... so you'd have a lot of tabs with Mark 3

Archived