Hebrew word lookups

Wayne Turner

When I'm reading the Old Testament (KJV with tags) and come to an English word for which I would like to immediately see the equivalent Hebrew word, I triple click on the word which brings up a Strong's window. Then I triple click on the Hebrew equivalent within the Strong's window which opens another Strong's window. Then I change my menu selection in that window to BDB or TWOT and click OK. Is there a better way?

I'm not the best at using these features, but from what I can see, there are two better ways.

1) For simply viewing the original hebrew word, it should appear automatically in your Instant Details window as you move your mouse around.

2) To actually look it up, you can select the word (double click), hold the option key down, and select whatever Hebrew Dictionary you want from the Resource Palette. Without the option key, it simply looks up the selected english word.

Thanks, but the problem with selecting the English word and using the Hebrew tools in the resource pallette is that it just gives a Hebrew equivalent for the English word, but perhaps not the actual word used in that particular instance. The Strong's number does identify the actual word used in that verse.

When I'm reading the Old Testament (KJV with tags) and come to an English word for which I would like to immediately see the equivalent Hebrew word, I triple click on the word which brings up a Strong's window. Then I triple click on the Hebrew equivalent within the Strong's window which opens another Strong's window. Then I change my menu selection in that window to BDB or TWOT and click OK. Is there a better way?

Wayne,

In addition to the suggestions Joel made, you need to understand that the resources which come up whenever you triple-click are those which are at the TOP of each list of modules. I'm guessing that if you click and hold on the Hebrew Tools pop-up button on the Resource palette, you'll see Hebrew Strong's at the top of the list, followed by BDB and TWOT. That's why you get Hebrew Strong's opening whenever you triple-click a Hebrew word.

If you want TWOT or BDB to open when you striple-click a Hebrew word, you simply need to move one of those modules up to the top of the list of Hebrew Tools. To do this, choose Tools... from the Edit Modules submenu of the Edit menu. A dialog will open enabling you to select each category of Tool and rearrange the order of modules in each category. Select Hebrew Tools from the Category pop-up, and then move BDB or TWOT to the top of the list by selecting it and clicking the Up button. When you're done, click OK.

Now, whenever you triple-click a word with Strong's numbers, you'll still get the Hebrew Strong's dictionary to open. But when you triple-click on a Hebrew word in the Strong's Dictionary, you'll get BDB or TWOT.

If you want to circumvent going through the Hebrew Strong's dictionary, simply follow Joel's suggestion of selecting the word you want to look up, holding down the option key, and selecting TWOT or BDB from the Hebrew Tools pop-up menu. Or, now that you have one of those at the top of the list, you can just option-click the Hebrew Tools button without having to wait for the drop-down menu to appear.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but the problem with selecting the English word and using the Hebrew tools in the resource pallette is that it just gives a Hebrew equivalent for the English word, but perhaps not the actual word used in that particular instance. The Strong's number does identify the actual word used in that verse.

Wayne,

You missed the fact that Joel suggested you hold down the OPTION key when you select the Hebrew dictionary. Holding down the option key tells Accordance not to look up the English word selected, but the Hebrew word represented by the Strong's number. If you option click, you will get the definition for the actual word used in the verse.

Hope this helps.

Archived