Accordance is Hanging

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I'm using Accordance 9.1.1, and it keeps hanging on me today.

I have a workspace that "originally" had two zones.

I opened a new Search window, which opened in a third zone

I moved it to become a tab in one of the original zones

I set the range, and ran a search. That worked fine

Then I pressed the details button. Suddenly, my workspace window became this very small rectangle in the middle of my screen, I got the spinning beach ball, and I had to force quit.

I tried again; same results.

Then I tried a different variation. Starting with the original workspace, I opened a new Search window in a third zone.

I set the search up and ran it in that third zone

Then I moved that search to one of the original two zones

I never got to click on the details button; as soon as the search "tab" joined the second one, the workspace shrank again, spinning beach ball, and then Accordance suddenly quit.

Any ideas? I'm happy to screen share to sort it out. I'll try to add a couple screen shots shortly, but I need to play taxi driver for one of my kids at the moment, so I can't do it right this minute.

Lorinda

Ok, here are some screen shots.

Here's my original setup:

post-407-083084300 1296688341_thumb.png

Here's with the new window in a third zone:

post-407-093637300 1296688353_thumb.png

Here's After I move the third zone to a tab in the second zone:

post-407-048752100 1296688325_thumb.png

Here's the tiny workspace that happens when I press the details button:

post-407-069400600 1296688355_thumb.png

This is on SnowLeopard (10.6.6)

Lorinda

Another twist:

I requested a new text window, which opened in one of my existing zones this time.

I detached this tab

I got an error message that blinked briefly, then the tab.

When I switched windows (command-~) to look for this message, and came back to the newly-detached window, I had a error message that "a word or expression must be entered at the insertion point." The window is grayed out, and there's no way to click the "OK" button.

There is also no way to enter anything in the search box to correct the error.

Nor can I click on the red circle to close the window.

I would really appreciate a response here.

Lorinda

Dear Lorinda, and Accordance: FWIW in helping with this.

Yesterday late, I set-up a Lectionary workspace like Lorinda's.

Some of my tools in each section are different than hers, however, the basic layout I found very useful/helpful for preparing Sunday sermons/studies.

Problem came fairly quickly, memory seems to be being "used and held", it wasn't long before I no longer had enough to "write" other pages, such as word processor, safari or anything else, computer generally "slowed to a crawl".

As I closed Safari and Pages from the launch bar ( right click-close app ) , not much change, however, minimizing an Accordance Workspace back to launch bar did help.

Questions:

1. Are we having a memory release issue in Accordance 9 ?

2. Could this be related to the use of the RCL Lectionary from User Tools?

I am going to try it again this afternoon, with and without the Lectionary user tool.

Lorinda, wondering if behavior is the same for you without the RCL Tool loaded?

Hope This is useful.

Rusty+

Thanks for the reply, Rusty.

It doesn't generally seem to be a memory issue for me, except for the hanging that was happening after a specific series of events, that I laid out in my first post. Today, however, I can't reproduce that part. :angry:

The problem I mentioned today about detached tabs is still happening.

Lorinda

Just as a Hoot, try closing out the RCL from your workspace, close and then reopen Accordance, see if the problem/s remain?

I am setting up to do the same now, I am wondering if both issues are related to hyper-links or something in RCL "user tools".

I think "user-tools" is getting some attention in an update that is in the pipeline.

Will let you know what I find out.

Rusty+

Apparently it has nothing to do with the RCL , seems to be a Tab issue, mine does it as well and removing or adding RCL does not change the issue.

Sorry, Thought I was on to something.

R+

I am sorry we didn't get to reply to this topic earlier. First, Accordance 9.2 is just about ready for release, and in addition to some exciting new features, it includes a slew of bug fixes. This should fix the second problem you mentioned, of the oddly placed dialog box. For the first problem, we were never able to consistently reproduce it, despite recreating your workspace as best as possible (I'm not sure what is in the other tabs, such as OT). If you are able to give us a fully reproducible case, or send us a workspace that always causes the problem, that would be very helpful. It is also possible that 9.2 will simply fix the problem, so once you get to use it (Free upgrade, of course!) let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Joel. Unfortunately (Fortunately?) I haven't been able to reproduce the first problem either. Which is odd, because I did reproduce it multiple times the day I first reported it. But a couple of days later, I couldn't reproduce it. I wonder if I restarted my computer in between and that cleared something.

Lorinda

• 2 weeks later...

It happened to me again today. I was hoping to get a reproducible set of steps, but when I tried it again after restarting Accordance, it worked properly. I did take a sample during the hang, and I have attached it in hopes that it will be of help.

This time I didn't move any zones around. I ran the search in the third zone, and clicked on the details button, and that's when the window shrank and it began to hang.

Lorinda

Sample of Accordance.txt

• 3 weeks later...

As of tonight, I have a simple, reproducible test case. I even tried restarting my MacBook, and I can still get it to happen:

-Open a New workspace

-Set the Search text to BHS-W4

-Set the "search for" button to words

-Enter [Count 1] and run the search

-Click on the Details button

Every time I do this, the workspace becomes a small rectangle in the center of the screen, and Accordance hangs.

If I have another workspace open, it remains the correct size. But it happens whether another workspace is open or not.

Lorinda

Thanks, Lorinda. We'll be bug fixing again next week. This will be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another test case for you, from this thread:

* <AND> [RANGE 1Thes-2Thes] when run on the GNT-T. (I didn't try it on any other text)

Lorinda

Archived