Drop Box Syncing Problems in 11.0

John Tadlock

I installed Accordance 11.0 on my desktop mac (running OS 10.9.5) and my laptop mac (running OS 10.6.8) both using Drop Box to sync User Notes and User Tools.

The installation seemed to go just fine on my desktop. I don't remember the dialog specifics, but I recall some sort of request to update my User Notes stored in Drop Box. I said fine and everything seemed to work.

I then installed Accordance 11 on my laptop. During the installation there was an error of some sort apparently related to User Notes (I have trouble remembering the error message exactly). Establishing the sync to Drop Box in the installation process seemed to work. The initial couple of times I tried starting Accordance on my laptop it did not start correctly. There would be a partial Accordance menu bar, but no windows. But after a couple of problem starts (and at least one force quit), Accordance 11 finally started just fine and seemed stable, even coming up with my most recent session.

*** UPDATE: The error message I received during installation on my laptop was that User Notes with the .amynotes already existed in my User Notes folder. Apparently when my desktop did the User Notes update it did not delete or move the old .acc4 User Notes. So both the .acc4 and the .amynotes are together in the same folder. I can get the same error (and a subsequent Accordance crash) by trying to manually update my User Notes from Accordance --> Preferences --> User Files.

I tested syncing a User Tool between the desktop and the laptop using Drop Box and that worked just fine. Both directions. So I set my concerns about the installation error message aside. (Note: my User Tools have a ".acc7" extension.)

I then took my laptop with me on a trip and while traveling made numerous changes to one of my User Notes. Upon returning I expected to see my updated User Notes show up on my desktop Mac. But, no, it did not, even after manually syncing several times and unlinking and relinking my Drop Box folder on each machine.

Investigating further I find that there are two copies of my User Notes in my Drop Box folder. There are notes with a ".amynotes" extension. These seem to be the Accordance 11 updated User Notes that my desktop syncs to. There are also notes with a ".acc4" extension. These seem to be the User Notes that my laptop is syncing to.

I tried deleting all the notes with the ".amynotes" extension in my Drop Box User Notes folder, hoping that it would start syncing to the ".acc4" files. But, no, Accordance on the desktop just recreated all the User Notes with the ".amynotes" extension. And they were my old versions (duplicates must be stored elsewhere on my desktop machine). I can't figure out how to get Accordance on my laptop to adopt the new updated User Notes with the ".amynotes" extension or update the ".acc4" files.

I need help. I would like to have both my desktop and my laptop syncing to updated Accordance 11 User Notes files. Ideally, the files I would like to use (and presumably update) are the notes currently on my laptop with the ".acc4" extensions. Further, I would like to make sure I am syncing with the most recent extensions of all the various files that sync. For example, I wonder if ".acc7" is the most recent type for User Tool files?

One additional comment... I started out thinking it was taking a long time to sync User Notes from my laptop even when using the same network connection as my desktop. I first noticed this when trying to quit Accordance and finding that it would not quit. I originally thought there was some sort of "quitting" problem, but now I think it is a syncing problem that prevents quitting. Eventually I noticed that Drop Box syncing windows were popping behind my main Accordance asking me to "Cancel" or "Continue" and I didn't know they were there. There can sometime be more than one (probably corresponding to manual sync requests). Such dialogs do not seem to appear when manually syncing on my desktop. Once I find and select "Continue" for all these dialogs, I can then quit Accordance.

Edited by John Tadlock

Dear John,

We would like to see if we can help straighten out your User Notes syncing with Dropbox. You can call us in support at 407-339-0266, email us support@accordancebible.com, or Skype us at: oaktreesupport Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Eastern.

You can download 'Teamviewer' from www.teamviewer.com (it's free and fast) before you contact us and then we will be able to screen share with you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes,

Billy