"Use as Default" Changes Font Size in Preferences

Brett K.

Hm... I can't duplicate this in 8.2.3. My tool retains its own default while new tools still reflect the size indicated in the global Tool Display prefs (≠ the custom value I set for any other tool).

I also assume you meant "Set Tool Display" in step 5 (since, otherwise, you were changing a text-specific font size default).

I also assume you meant "Set Tool Display" in step 5 (since, otherwise, you were changing a text-specific font size default).

Yes, I meant "Set Tool Dislay".

But I just discovered that it appears to be font specific so I'm not sure it's an Accordance problem. With DejaVu Sans, the prefs change. With Times New Roman, they behave properly.

Thanks

--

Brett

Nevermind, it was the font. :( Sorry for the confusion.

The Wikipedia entry for the DejaVu fonts says:

Recently there has been some question within the DejaVu community about the role of scripts typographically incompatible with the typographically-similar scripts Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic (LGC). Most notably, Arabic has been added, but it has caused some software compatibility issues.

They released a version using only Latin, Greek, and Cryllic. I downloaded it, and that version works fine. It's the version with lots of unicode (including Arabic) that made Accordance act goofy.

Thanks

--

Brett

Looks like I spoke too soon. Now Accordance is doing the same thing with Verdana (the version installed with OS X). I'm not sure what is going on.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Now Accordance is doing the same thing with Verdana (the version installed with OS X). I'm not sure what is going on.

OK, I hadn't tried Verdana, but I suspect it has something to do with the way Accordance interacts with differently packaged fonts (e.g., Verdana is split up into four separate files for the Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic faces; though this may not ultimately be a relevant factor). I'm sure they'll look into it and (eventually) find a fix!

At least the user's intention for the global preference is, in fact, being honored even if the value is displayed incorrectly in the preference.

• 2 weeks later...

This bug turns out to be a little more troublesome than I first thought.

To recap, with some fonts, changing the default font/size for a particular tool (or batch of tools using the library window) changes the font settings in the global tool preferences. When you open the global tool preferences, rather than displaying the font that is currently in use for all tools, it displays the last font/size you set for a particular tool.

Since Accordance has at least been using the last global preferences set even though it was displaying the incorrect font/size, it wasn't a very big deal. Well, if you change anything in the global tool preferences (e.g. background color) and click the okay button, it applies the currently displaying, incorrect font/size to all of your tools.

I know the work around is to reset the font/size every time you make any change in the global tool preferences. However, that overrides all of the custom settings you've created for individual tools. All of those have to be reset manually.

--

Brett

Archived