Recommend a Collection

Randy W. Sims

I'm curious what would be recommended for a collection. I'm coming from Logos where I have the Portfolio package and a lot of other resources. I've been waiting anxiously for Accordance to come to PC and I would love to get on the beta team but if not I will grab it when it hits the shelves. But I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for selecting modules. I don't mind picking up modules that duplicate what I have in Logos or Olive Tree where it makes sense which is probably things like dictionaries, lexicons, etc. But probably not commentaries or general monographs.

I'm leaning toward the Essentials collection, at least as a start. It seems to include all the basic features and give a good base to begin with. There are some things in Advanced that would seem good to have (though I have them in Logos): IVP, ISBE, NASB, and a few other minor things. But I don't really need to duplicate those commentaries which I already have elsewhere, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to start with Essentials and then add bit by bit or is it worth it to move on up?

I guess the main thing I'm wondering is what is worth duplicating in Accordance that I already have elsewhere? I don't mind having several copies of the same references in different programs where it makes sense to do so, where it will help me most in my studies. What's the best strategy here?

Relevant facts about me & my intended usage: I don't know any original languages yet, though I plan to learn greek at some point. I am not in school or in ministry. I'm just a lay person with a deep thirst for learning. I think what attracted me most to Accordance is the search features in Accordance and the analytics. It also seems to have a nice streamlined and intuitive interface (judging from watching the podcasts). And I've read a lot of good posts from users who also frequent the forums for the other bible softwares.

• Like 2

Randy,

Welcome to the forum!

If I were starting from scratch with Accordance, I would choose the Essentials collection. It will give you a great foundation for English studies - the texts tagged with Strongs number or G/K numbers are incredibly helpful for getting to the original language without having to know them (I took Hebrew in seminary, but have long since lost it & can still read Greek, but translating is hard work).

You also have the Greek & Hebrew tools for when you do learn the languages.

It is my hope to upgrade to one of the new collections soon and Essentials is the collection I will be upgrading to.

• Like 1

Hi, Randy!

Accordance is the only Bible software (of which I'm aware) to offer a generous crossgrade policy on some modules. (And you can always email sales to ask about other modules not listed there.)

Word on the street, too, is that calling the sales team is a good move--that they won't try to upsell you and can help you get the best bang for your buck.

Essential is a great package--there's so much to it that you would use both now and later. Great maps, timeline, atlas features... good selection of English Bibles and notes, the whole Tyndale commentary set (which I believe covers the whole OT and NT?). Also all you need for beginning and intermediate Greek and Hebrew study.

But check out that crossgrades page--provided you have the matching IVP bundle in Logos, you can get it for a song in Accordance (you have to keep the Logos version; can't sell it).

EDIT: To answer your other question, I'd be of the mind to start small (not that the Essential Collection is exactly small) and then see if you'll want to build your library with other collections or by adding on various modules (not all of which might be in a given collection).

• Like 1

Thanks Tim and Abram. It looks like essentials is a good place to start, and I can expand from there. I really appreciate you pointing out the crossgrades, Abram. That's sweet! It will definitely make it much easier switching over some my valued resources. Thank you!

• Like 1