Finding 'endurance' in Hebrews

KevinSoars

I do hope this is the right place for my question; please forgive me if it is not and feel free to 'move' it if that is possible!

In the latest Accordance Quicktip- Instant Details how would I find in which version of the Bible is "endurance" used in Hebrews 12:1?

Thank you>

I'd run a Search All, with your group set to All Texts, and the search string set to:

endurance [RANGE Hebrews 12:1]

Edit: In my search, I get hits in a variety of translations, including HCSB, ESV, NAS85, NLT, NKJV, and others.

Hi Kevin (and Joel)

Joel, you just beat me to it. My one additional step, which may help in some other cases where you don't have a scripture reference, would be to add a user group of your selected English Bibles and run the search all in that.

It means that if you are looking for "that pesky verse in some version or other that has "patience" and "endurance" in it, you won't get hits from LXX or Pseudepigrapha or Philo.

Thank you Joel (I certainly would not have figured that out!) and within 10 minutes of the question! Extraordinary!

Kevin.

And thank you Ken for the extra information. And only a few minutes behind Joel; maybe that is because the US is closer to Austria than Australia!!!!

Kevin.

Actually, Joel, I have just realised that I don't understand the process! I am obviously doing something wrong and would be grateful of further help. I am going to try to include here a picture of what I have:

(Well the picture seems to have worked!) Does it help you to help me?

Edited by Kevin Soars

Sorry, my trying to add a picture of my search window does not seem to have worked after all. It is now 11:08 pm here. I shall try again tomorrow.

I took a picture of my search window with Grab but when I tried to copy it into a reply I ended up with "webkit-fake-url://BD3F4321-F9F5-4B0F-A7FA-CED0388CDC13/image.tiff" as above! As I said, I shall try agin tomorrow!

You can't paste screenshots into the reply, you need to save the screenshot to your computer, then attach it to the post specifically. Sorry the copy/paste doesn't work directly, but thats just a limitation of the forums.

Kevin

From the "File" menu (top, first option to the right of "Accordance"); hover over "New" (first option); a pop-up of options appears. The last one is "Search All." Click it and the Search all window will open (in my case a new zone). Then paste Joel's search string. I found 12 English Bibles with endurance in Heb 12:1.

Michael

Hi Kevin and Michael,

You can also use the search all entry box in the top right hand corner of the workspace, and select the group from the drop down in that entry box.

it then opens a new search all zone and does the search for you.

However, now I have lost the ability to upload a picture to the post so I cant show you my screenshot! The buttons just aren't there (Joel - anything changed?)

Yes - Australia is closer to Austria - didn't you know there's only a (sic) l difference! I was behind because Joel is a computer head and is awake till crazy hours with Pizza and Coke. ;)

Update: I do have the attach file button on the other fora just not this one.. The more reply options button isn't here, and the "Use Full Editor" button still doesn't give me the attach files area. This forum may have file attachments disabled...

Edited by Ken Simpson

I've split off this topic for clarity, and to allow post attachments!

Now that Joel has kindly split off the topic...

here is my screencap

post-29509-0-66439200-1350439088_thumb.png

Thank you Joel, Ken and Michael, now I have it!

Here I hope is a picture of my search window; I do hope it opens! You will see why I did not get any results - I did not know why until I received your help.

file://localhost/Users/kevinsoars/Desktop/Endurance!.tiff

No, I still do not have (or do not know how to send) a 'picture' like the one that Ken has included. I wish I could show you and then you will see where I was going wrong.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Kevin - You may find that the easiest way to get a screen shot is shift-cmd-3 to get the whole screen, or shift-cmd-4 to define just the portion that you want to capture. The shots show up on your desktop where they're easy to find for attaching and easily discarded afterward.

Julie

Thank you, Julie. I have taken a screen shot and placed it in my desktop as mentioned by Joel. But how do I get it from my desktop into this post?

Kevin.

Well David I am delighted to know that, not only has my lack of expertise here has not only brought forth the usual kindness and patience of other members, but I have actually inspired your blog today! You have inspired me to keep asking!

Thanks to all,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

a quick tutorial on uploading screenshots.

Julie has given you the initial instructions...thanks Julie.

Then, click the "More Reply Options" at the bottom of your "reply to this topic" box

post-29509-0-95944500-1350508815_thumb.png

this will bring up some extra options - at the bottom of this box you will see an "Attach files" button.

post-29509-0-74832500-1350508817_thumb.png

Click this and navigate to your image(s) and press select and they will upload. At this stage they are attachments and we can see them but they won't be part of the text.

post-29509-0-05894400-1350508813_thumb.png

Then place your cursor where you want the image to go (important step) and press the "add to post" text that it red-boxed in that image.

This will put a string in your post that is a link to the image you just uploaded.

post-29509-0-50444800-1350508814_thumb.png

Then click "Add reply" (at the very bottom) and voilá (I know - wrong country) your post should have some pics!

Ken,

I am so grateful for this 'quick' tutorial. (I cannot imagine how long it must have taken!) So, here goes; if I can follow your instructions I am hoping to show why I could not get the answer to my original question.

Endurance!.tiff

Now, in fear and trepidation (!), but with a little prayer I am going to add reply and see what happens.

Well at least you will see the picture even if it does not show like your own attachments. I do hope I have not taken up too much time with this original 'simple' question and the follow up of questions about showing screenshots. However, as I say, it brought forth much kindness and patience from others and inspired David's very helpful Blog. So I have learnt a lot there. Then I received 'my own' private tutorial on uploading screenshots; and of course, Ken, that will help others I am sure.

So, thanks again to all,

Kevin.

You will be able to show attachments like I have them if you use png to jpg as your screencap format. TIFF is big and wasteful for this.

So my recommendation is:

Open terminal

type

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

or

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png

if you'd prefer png (better quality and still a smallish file)

and then either restart or type

sudo killall SystemUIServer

A description of the process can be found here: http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Screenshot-Format.htm

Now when you do a screencapture, it will be in png or jpg format and it will post and display just fine.

(The tutorial only took about 10 minutes) :)

Sorry Ken,

I am obviously doing something wrong or not following your instructions as I should. I shall send you a PM. I don't want to 'block' the Forums in any way!