Using Pages 09 to make a user tool

Getinthebible

I am using pages to record my thought on a rather involved topic from the bible. It involves thousands of verses from multiple searches. I have Accordance 9 and have just learned about user tools. I think that a making this a user tool would be so helpful for me when I present my findings.

Does anyone know how to convert a .pages file into a .html file so that I can format in pages and then import into user tools?

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Rob,

Since Pages 09 doesn't seem to have an option for saving as or exporting to .html, your best bet, would be to export your work to a text file or an RTF and then open it in TextEdit. Once you open it in TextEdit, you can choose to save your file as in the .html format.

The steps would be (within Pages)

1. Choose File, Export

2. From the Window that pops up, select RTF, then save to the location you desire.

3. Open the file using TextEdit (included in every Mac)

4. Choose File, Save As

5. From this Window you can select the File Format to be Web Page (.html)

What this process will do with the formatting would remain to be seen. It doesn't hurt to try.

Hope that helps.Blessings.

Thank you Brent.

Your suggestion worked well. There are some formatting issues, however it occurs mainly within pages during the saving as an rtf file. Most of the issues revolve around spaces. Accordance went so far as to hyperlink my scriptures for me. This is amazing.

I appreciate your help. This will expedite my tool making tremendously.

Thank you.

Rob

This would be one instance of where an ePub extension to at least read external files in Accordance would be most helpful.

Thank you Brent.

Your suggestion worked well. There are some formatting issues, however it occurs mainly within pages during the saving as an rtf file. Most of the issues revolve around spaces. Accordance went so far as to hyperlink my scriptures for me. This is amazing.

I appreciate your help. This will expedite my tool making tremendously.

Thank you.

Rob

You're welcome Rob. Glad it helped. The User Notes and User Tools feature in Accordance was what ultimately sold me on their software a few years back. Seems like other companies made note taking a featureless half-hearted add-on to their software and the idea of making your own User Tools (or self publishing for use in their software) was allowed only at a premium.

It would be great to see Accordance be able to handle some other file formats for importing User Tools. Maybe in time.

This is very interesting. I exported a Pages doc as a Rich Text file. It saved with the extension, RTFD. I opened it in Text Edit. When I attempt to save it, I am offered two options for the file format:

Rich Text Format with Attachments or Web Archive. Accordance won't open these.

Do you have any insights as to why I can't save with an .html extension? I am not versed in the rules that govern this.

Thanks

Charles,

I believe I had success when saving in pages as an RTF not an RTFD. It may be you may try that and see if it helps.

Rob

This is very interesting. I exported a Pages doc as a Rich Text file. It saved with the extension, RTFD. I opened it in Text Edit. When I attempt to save it, I am offered two options for the file format:

Rich Text Format with Attachments or Web Archive. Accordance won't open these.

Do you have any insights as to why I can't save with an .html extension? I am not versed in the rules that govern this.

Thanks

The RTFD file would likely result if you exported a Pages document containing some kind of attachment (photo or otherwise). This reduces your choices in TextEdit and forces you to either save in the RTFD or Webarchive file formats, neither of which can be brought into Accordance. You would want to eliminate anything from your document that would result in it exporting to the RTFD rather than RTF. At this point, you should be able to save your TextEdit document as a Web Page (.html) and it will put the .html extension at the end. The idea is to get the text you want to import into Accordance to have the .html extension or the .txt, which are the two file formats Accordance can import. The .html is more desirable because it will (in most cases) link any Bible references and also maintain your formatting. My guess is that you have some other things in the Pages doc that narrow your export choices.

Archived