Logos Bible Software video demo

jwritebol

As many of you know Logos Bible Software is nearing (sometime this decade I believe) a release of their Libronix Bible Software for the Mac. They are about as quick as Microsoft was with getting Longhorn, I mean Vista, to market since they promised back in the SPRING OF 2004. Anyway I received an email today with an early "alpha" video of the software in operation on a Mac and I thought I would share my impressions.

1. Terribly slow. Now I know some in the Logos camp will say, "it's only an early alpha candidate," but I am not talking about how the processor ran the software, although that seemed to be part of the issue. I am talking about how long it takes to run a process to get certain information. For instance. They demonstrated getting the parsing for a particular Greek word. I could have gone to the local library and found a parsed interlinear faster than Logos brought it up. There was searching the right window to find the right "book" to look up the right passage...etc.

Accordance is so fast in regard to its enter... point... discover method for finding the parsing. Enter the passage, point to the word in the passage, and boom... instant information in the "Instant Details" panel.

Even the search through all the books in the system for Psalm 29 was slow. They had to cancel it in mid-process to be able to show you what they wanted.

2. One, Two, Three, Where did it go windows? Obviously Logos is made for Windows... they must like them.... because Logos has TONS. It was so easy for me in just watching the video to get lost in which window had what information and where it was at... bother.

Accordance is sleek and simple, like the Mac. It can all be in one window with tabs. What a Mac Innovation! Obviously Logos is trying to pour new wine into old wineskins.

There are probably several more things I could say, and no Helen or anyone at Accordance did not pay me to say this... I say it myself. Spare every friend you can who owns or is going to own a Mac and wants Bible software from the doom that is Logos.... it's so... Windows 98. I consider switching at one time, back when I was weak, but after seeing this video there is no switching for me at all!

To see the video visit http://www.logos.com/media/mac/MacA4_small.mov

Let the holy wars begin... ;)

In all fairness after looking at the video, it wasn't all that bad. Some of the texts popped up pretty quick. It is clear the target markets are different. Unfortunately, it isn't an either/or for many of us. In reality, not every publisher can do a first rate job at everything. It is just too expensive.

Logos has focused on electronic publishing and thank goodness they have! There are many reference works that I would rather search through with a computer than use a paper index and manual cross-referencing. Oxford's Dictionary of the Christian Church for one.

Accordance focuses on the text and the text is central. This is really important when studying the text. The support from Accordance is great and it is a great product. As I said in a previous posting "it just fits right". However, if I really need a text that Accordance doesn't support and doesn't plan to provide, I may need to buy it from Logos.

They are providing a service to the academic and Christian community-- this is awesome.

Rich

Let the holy wars begin... ;)

We have no intention of getting into a "holy war".

David sums up our attitude well at the end of his recent blog.

What a sour and cynical response. They released it because so many were asking how it would look. They have miles to go before they sleep. You should know that speed is a great concern for the Logos developers. Their version 4 will address this and the Mac version will benefit from that. Competition is good for us all.

I use Accordance on my Mac and Logos 3 and Bibleworks 7 on my PC. We should be thankful we have so many options!

Will

What a sour and cynical response. They released it because so many were asking how it would look. They have miles to go before they sleep. You should know that speed is a great concern for the Logos developers. Their version 4 will address this and the Mac version will benefit from that. Competition is good for us all.

Excuse me, but whose response are you calling "sour and cynical?"

• 2 weeks later...

The original post that as, in my opinion, a sour response to the Logos video.

Sorry to be unclear about that.

Will

Archived