Searching syntax

Dewayne Davis

Is there a way to search for specific syntax? For instance, can I find every instance of where Spirit is the subject followed by any verb and direct object? I want to find everywhere the Spirit does something. Or maybe I want to find everywhere the spirit is used as a direct object? The idea is to not have to filter through lots of hit results to find something specific where many different verbs may be used. I know this is very vague. So just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

If you're wanting to search the GNT (or one of the other Greek texts), use a Greek Construct. Specify Spirit in the Nominative case, followed by a verb and then followed by a noun in the accusative case.

You'll need to do some thinking about how to deal with intervening words.

I don't think there's a way to search an English or Hebrew text for subjects and objects, but I could be wrong.

Lorinda

Is there a way to search for specific syntax? For instance, can I find every instance of where Spirit is the subject followed by any verb and direct object? I want to find everywhere the Spirit does something. Or maybe I want to find everywhere the spirit is used as a direct object? The idea is to not have to filter through lots of hit results to find something specific where many different verbs may be used. I know this is very vague. So just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

If you're asking about doing a Syntax search like you can do in Logos, I believe the answer is no. Helen told me there currently isn't any syntax databases available for Accordance yet. You can, however, build your own Syntax Charts & tag original language words with Syntax structures (nice feature, I can't wait to really begin using it). You can definitely try to "fake syntax" using word proximity, but you'll get a bunch of false hits. This is a case where you really need a Syntax database in order to effectively search Syntax, & hopefully Accordance will have some available one day. Until then, that's why I still keep Logos around.

Well after getting out my DVD, I found that what I wanted was quite simple by using the Search and Gramatical Tags function. I guess I was expecting it to be more complicated. I love this software. Thanks.

Archived